Corned Beef and Cabbage is a classic Irish meal (traditionally served on St. Patrick’s Day) that is delicious and easy to make!
Corned Beef and Cabbage – it’s the St. Patrick’s Day classic, so easy to make and absolutely delicious!
Corned Beef and Cabbage. Where do I even begin? Growing up, every St. Patrick’s Day my Mom would make this for our family and now I make it every year – it really is the epitome of comfort food for me. Okay, Okay – it took me a while to get on board with the cabbage part when I was little, but I gotta tell you – put a little ghee and salt on that cabbage and you will be singing a different tune. It is a must try, you guys. And the meat, so buttery …. I already got to eat this today and I am still drooling thinking about it. Served with potatoes, onions and carrots, it is just plain-old good-for-your-soul home-cooked comfort food.
A classic Irish meal (traditionally served on St. Patrick’s Day) that is delicious and easy to make!
- 3–4 pound corned beef brisket
- 1 head of cabbage (cut in half, remove core, cut into medium-sized wedges)
- 6 medium carrots (peeled and cut into uniform 1–2 inch chunks)
- 1 yellow onion (cut into quarters)
- 1–2 potatoes (cut into large chunks)
- Remove brisket from packaging and rinse.
- Place in Dutch Oven or other large pot. – fat side up.
- Take spice packet from brisket package and sprinkle on top of brisket.
- Add water until brisket is barely covered.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for approx. 3 hours (for a 3 pound brisket) or more.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and onion and bring back to boil for 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage, continue boiling and cover for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Carefully remove everything and serve immediately.
- Ghee (or butter) and salt should be available for cabbage.
Thank you so much for reading & supporting The Wooden Skillet! This post contains affiliate links for products I actually use in my own home and personally recommend. Should you make a purchase using one of these links, The Wooden Skillet will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to bring you great original content. Thank you!