This unbelievably Easy Blueberry Crisp recipe has warm and bubbly blueberries with a perfectly buttery crisp topping. It is a summer must and should always be served with vanilla bean ice cream!
Quick & Easy Blueberry Crisp
In the fall and winter months apple crisp is the favorite dessert, but in these hot summer months we love making fresh blueberry crisp (or these Blueberry Crumb Bars)! It is kid-approved so the whole family loves enjoying this delicious summer dessert. The addition of lemon zest really helps to amplify all the great blueberry flavor. This crips only takes about 10 minutes to prep, so it is super simple to throw together and then just bake until it’s golden brown and bubbly!
We also have an amazing Paleo Berry Crisp, which is another summer classic!
What You Will Need
- blueberries – we love using fresh, especially when they are in-season, but frozen would also work just fine.
- whole wheat flour – helps to keep the blueberry mixture for getting too runny – you could use gluten-free flour if you prefer.
- vanilla extract – a splash of flavor!
- lemon juice and zest – a little acidity really helps to bring out all of the great flavors.
- kosher salt – just a pinch!
- rolled oats & whole wheat flour – the perfect base for a delicious crispy topping – again, use gluten-free flour if you prefer and look for gluten-free certified oats if that is important to you.
- brown sugar or coconut sugar – some added sweetness and either one will do the trick – coconut sugar is an easy substitute here.
- butter – this is what makes your topping nice and golden brown. Use regular or dairy-free butter if you prefer.
- ground cinnamon & nutmeg – a little of each are the perfect spice additions.
- topping: vanilla bean ice cream – option to use regular or dairy-free.
Can I Substitute Frozen Blueberries For Fresh Ones
Absolutely! In the photos below we used fresh blueberries, but you can definitely use frozen ones in their place. You don’t even have to thaw them before using. They might have to bake for a few extra minutes though.
How Long Do You Bake Blueberry Crisp
Our blueberry crisp bakes at 375 degrees F for about 30-35 minutes. As you get towards the end of your cooking time you will want to keep an eye on it and once it is golden brown and bubbly you can remove it from the oven.
Can I Prep This Ahead of Time
Yes, you could prepare the entire crisp and then tightly cover it in plastic and store it in the fridge for up to 1-2 days. When you are ready, simply preheat your oven and bake as directed.
Can I Freeze Blueberry Crisp
Yes! Once you have it all prepared in a non-porcelain baking dish you can cover it tightly and store it in the freezer for up to one month. When you are ready to bake you can place it in a preheated oven and then make sure you add some time to your total cook time. It will probably take closer to 50 minutes to bake from frozen.
How To Make Blueberry Crisp
First, you will mix together the blueberry mixture and place it in a baking dish.
Next, place your the ingredients for the crips topping in a mixing bowl.
Use a fork or pastry cutter to mix them thoroughly.
Place the crisp mixture on top of the blueberries.
And bake at 375 degrees F for 30-35 minutes.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Easy Blueberry Crisp – an easy, delicious blueberry crisp recipe that is the perfect summer dessert! Easily gluten-free/dairy-free!
- 4 cups blueberries
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened (dairy-free butter works)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Toppings: ice cream (regular or dairy-free, whipped cream)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine Blueberry Mixture in a medium-sized bowl. Transfer to 9×9 baking pan.
- Combine Crisp ingredients and use a fork or pastry cutter to mix together.
- Cover the Blueberry Mixture with the Crisp mixture.
- Place in the oven (middle rack and uncovered) for 30-35 minutes or until the blueberries are nice and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite vanilla bean ice cream (regular or dairy-free).
- Gluten-Free: to make this gluten-free use a 1-to-1 gluten-free flour and certified gluten-free oats.
- Dairy-Free: to make this recipe dairy-free use a dairy-free butter and serve with dairy-free ice cream or dairy-free whipped cream.
- Storage: simply cover in plastic wrap and leave it out at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Frozen Blueberries: you can use frozen blueberries if you prefer – no need to thaw before using, but you may need to increase the cook time by 5 minutes.
Keywords: blueberry crisp