Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies – these cookies are a sweet treat that’s kid-friendly and made with simple, real ingredients!
The BEST Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
At our house we love making an occasional sweet treat to have for dessert or as a fun after school snack so we got to work developing a delicious chocolate chip cookie recipe that is easy to make and uses real, simple ingredients! These cookies are turned out perfect – light, fluffy, and the perfect amount of sweetness. The whole family loves them, especially the kiddos!
What You Will Need
- grass-fed butter – these made the cookies soft and delicious – you can use a vegan butter, but the texture may be a tad more crumbly.
- coconut sugar – love this as a natural sweetener, but you could also use a brown sugar/cane sugar combo if you want, see the notes.
- vanilla extract – a baking must have.
- egg – this helps bind all the ingredients together.
- super-fine almond flour & cassava flour – a really great baking combo or you can feel free to use a gluten-free flour or whole wheat flour, up to you!
- xantham gum – this is optional, but it does help bind everything together.
- baking soda + cream of tartar + arrowroot – these help the cookie rise a little.
- kosher salt – to help amplify the flavors.
- semi-sweet chocolate chips – feel free to use dairy-free!
How Do You Keep Homemade Cookies Soft and Chewy?
First, you want to keep an eye on them when they are baking and try to under bake them slightly. We baked these for 8 minutes and they were perfectly soft and chewy. Now after they are done baking you will want to store them in an airtight container to maintain that softness and if they do lose any softness you can do my favorite trick – just toss a piece of bread in the storage container with them! Keeps cookies nice and soft!
Can I Store The Cookie Dough Before Baking It?
Absolutely! You can easily make the cookie dough and store it in the fridge for 2-3 days or the freezer for up to 2 months before baking it.
Should I Refrigerate Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Nope, you don’t need to refrigerate them. If you plan to eat them in the next week or so you can just keep them at room temperature. If you want to keep them for longer than it is better to just toss them in the freezer.
How Do You Store Fresh Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Once the cookies have fulled cooled you can just store them in an airtight container for about 5 days. If you would like to keep them for longer than that you can put them in a freezer-safe container and freeze them for 3-4 weeks.
How To Make Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
Step one – beat the butter and coconut sugar together until fluffy. Then mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
Step two – mix your dry ingredients in a separate bowl and then add to the butter/sugar mixture. Next, fold in your chocolate chips.
Step three – roll about 2 tablespoons of dough into a ball and then press them down slightly on the baking sheet.
Step four – bake for 8-10 minutes and enjoy!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
- 1 stick grassfed butter, room temperature
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cup super fine almond flour
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 1/8 teaspoon xantham gum
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add butter and coconut sugar to your stand mixer using a whisk attachment; beat until well combined.
- Add vanilla and egg; whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl combine almond flour, cassava flour, xantham gum, baking soda, cream of tartar, arrowroot and salt; stir to combine ensuring there are no clumps.
- Using the dough hook attachment on your stand mixer, slowly add in the almond flour mixture until it turns to dough.
- Add chocolate chips and fold into the dough using a spoon or spatula.
- Taking about 2 tablespoons at a time in your hand, roll into a ball. Place on a greased cookie sheet and press down gently to flatten slightly. Ensure cookies are approximately 2 inches part.
- Bake, middle rack, for 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool and then serve.
- Coconut Sugar: you could sub 1/2 cup brown sugar + 1/2 cup organic cane sugar for 1 cup of coconut sugar.
- Almond Flour + Cassava Flour: you could sub 1 1/2 cup gluten-free flour OR 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour for both the almond and cassava flours.
Keywords: paleo chocolate chip cookies