Easy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds – these are a MUST every year while carving pumpkins with the family! Fall perfection!
(Whole30, Paleo, GF, DF, + Plant-Based)
You will want to save this one and have it on hand every October!! You won’t regret it!
When everyone is talking about pumpkin spice and pumpkin puree in everything, I’m thinking about pumpkin SEEDS! This is one of my all-time favorite traditions every October. When I was a kid my mom would roast pumpkins seeds for us to munch on while carving jack-o-lanterns every Halloween and now we absolutely love continuing this tradition with our own kiddos. It’s the perfect snack to eat while enjoying some family fun at home.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Easy – it is made in only 20 minutes and if you are carving pumpkins you will have a ton of them around!
- Simple – a delicious snack made with only 2 ingredients!
- Versatile – we kept this batch basic with kosher salt but you can experiment with LOTS of different flavors – curry powder, chili powder, turmeric, garlic powder, chipotle powder or any other seasonings you like! Get creative!
- Family tradition – there is nothing better than a good family tradition and our kids remember these and ask for them every year!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
Only 2 ingredients:
- Pumpkin seeds
- Kosher salt
- Do I Need to Soak Pumpkin Seeds Before Roasting? – No, this is not a necessary step. Some people soak them in salt water before roasting but it takes extra time for the soaking and then you will have to roast them for longer because of the added water. Definitely not worth it!
- Do I Have to Roast Them Right Away? – No, after rinsing the seeds off you can place them in an airtight container for a week at room temperature and in the fridge for 1-2 months. The perfect way to keep making and enjoying this snack for weeks.
- How Long Can I Keep Them Once They Are Roasted? – in an airtight container for several days.
- Why Are They Chewy? – As pumpkin seeds cool out of the oven they should become less chewy. If they are still chewy you can pop them back in the oven for 5 minute increments until they are no longer chewy.
HOW TO ROAST PUMPKIN SEEDS
Step 1: Carve a whole in the top of a large pumpkin.
Step 2: Pull out the pumpkin seeds.
Step 3: Rinse all of the pumpkin off of the seeds.
Step 4: Place all of the rinsed pumpkin seeds on a parchment-lined sheet pan and sprinkle with generous amounts of kosher salt (or whatever seasoning you choose).
Step 5: Roast at 350 for 20 minutes, stirring halfway.
Step 6: Enjoy!!
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- Healthy Homemade Granola
- Baked Creamy Corn Acorn Squash
- Delicious Dairy-Free Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal Bake
Thank you so much for reading & supporting The Wooden Skillet! This post includes affiliate links for products I actually use in my own home and personally recommend. Should you make a purchase using one of these links, The Wooden Skillet will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to bring you great original content. Thank you!Print
Easy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds – a simple, tried + true roasted pumpkin seed recipe my family has been making for decades!
- 2 cups raw pumpkin seeds
- kosher salt (approximately 1-2 tablespoons)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place pumpkin seeds in colander and rinse thoroughly with water, trying to get all the pumpkin off of them.
- Drain as much as possible and then pour onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Try and spread out so they seeds aren’t on top of each other too much and you have one nice layer. If you do a lot of seeds you may need a second baking sheet.
- Sprinkle generously with salt (really up to you how salty you want them!).
- Bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway.
- Taste (carefully they are hot!). If they don’t feel crunchy enough for your liking cook for additional 5 minute increments until they reach your desired “crunch” level!
- Storage: Store on the counter-top in a covered container for several days.
- Mix it up: Feel free to experiment with this base recipe by adding: curry powder, chili powder, turmeric, garlic powder, chipotle powder or any other seasonings you like! Get creative!
Keywords: how long to roast pumpkin seeds, roasted pumpkin seeds, how to make roasted pumpkin seeds