Follow this quick tutorial to learn How to Make Simple Syrup in under 10 minutes using just water and sugar! This recipe is the best way to add just a hint of sweetness to our favorite latté or summer cocktail (liked this Classic Mojito Recipe).
Easy Homemade Simple Syrup
This simple syrup is just that. An easy recipe to whip together and the perfect way to add a touch of sweetness to your favorite caffeinated beverage or cocktail. And since this mixture can last up to a month in the refrigerator, feel free to make a large to have on hand whenever you need it.
What You Will Need
- water – This allows the process of hydrolysis to occur; the reaction between water and sugar when under heat
- granulated sugar – Your standard sugar quickly transforms into two simple sugar molecules, fructose and glucose
How To Make Simple Syrup
Start by gathering one cup of water and one cup of sugar and allow yourself around 10 minutes from start to finish.
Carefully pour the water and the sugar in a medium sized sauce pan.
Then bring the sauce pan to medium-low heat on the stove top. Be sure to whisk or stir fairly continuously as the water warms and the sugar dissolves. The water just needs to be warm, not hot, for the sugar to dissolve.
As soon as the sugar dissolves completely, remove the sauce pan from the heat and let the clear syrup cool to room temperature. Once cooled, transfer the simple syrup to a mason jar or another sealable container.
How To Make Simple Syrup For Coffee
Save yourself a trip to the grocery store and use this this versatile recipe instead! It’s great for coffee drinks as it adds just the right about of sweetness without masking the natural flavors of your favorite coffee or espresso. We love adding just a bit of simple syrup to our iced coffee or hot coffee to help their natural flavors shine just a little brighter.
How To Make Simple Syrup For Cocktails
This recipe works great in cocktails as well! This liquid sweetener is much easier to blend into cold drinks than regular white sugar. Our favorite thing about this simple syrup is that there are no added flavors, which allows the flavors of your favorite drink shine through. See what we mean and try this frozen strawberry margarita, one of our favorite cocktails for the summer.
- Rich Simple Syrup: rich simple syrup has a ratio of 2:1 sugar to water, making it a thicker syrup. This variety has a longer shelf life of about 6 months when kept in the refrigerator. (less if stored on the counter).
- Storage: store on the counter top if using within a few days, otherwise store in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to a month for later use.
Made this basic simple syrup recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Other Recipes You Might LikePrint
How to Make Simple Syrup (simple syrup recipe) – an easy simple syrup recipe that is easy to adjust and perfect for coffee drinks and cocktails!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Add water and sugar to a medium sized saucepan.
- Place on stove-top and bring to medium-low heat.
- Whisk or stir fairly continuously as the water warms and the sugar dissolves – you don’t need the water very hot, just warm.
- As soon as the sugar dissolves completely, remove from heat and let cool.
- Transfer to a mason jar or other sealable container.
- Simple Syrup Ratio: the ratio here is equal parts water and granulated sugar, so feel free to make a bigger batch (or smaller batch) as-needed.
- Rich Simple Syrup: rich simple syrup has a ratio of 2:1 sugar to water – so if you need extra-sweet simple syrup, feel free to make this kind. Rich simple syrup also stores a bit longer – approx. 6 months in the refrigerator (less if stored on the counter).
- Storage: store on the counter top if using within a few days, otherwise store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a month.
- Serving Size: 1 oz
- Calories: 65
- Sugar: 16.6 g
- Sodium: 1 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.7 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: how to make simple syrup, simple syrup recipe