Our quick and easy Tofu Scramble is perfect for making a meat-less breakfast option! Made with only 7 real, simple ingredients that can be used in so many different ways!
The Best Scrambled Tofu Recipe
Who needs eggs when you have the best tofu scramble recipe! We love mixing in some plant-based meals into our weekly menu and once you see how delicious this easy recipe is, we think it will be a new family favorite recipe at your house too. Love using it in these Vegan Breakfast Burritos, on avocado toast, or topped with fresh salsa and a side of home fries. Trust us when we say this is a game changer!
What You Will Need
- extra-firm tofu – you should be able to find a block of tofu at your local grocery store. Any firmness of tofu will work, but we prefer extra firm.
- fresh garlic & sweet yellow onion – simple flavor starters that are always so good!
- kosher salt, ground black pepper, and turmeric powder – simple seasonings that bring so much eggy flavor.
How To Make Tofu Scramble
The first steps to making these easy tofu scrambled eggs are to remove the packaging from your tofu and place it on a plate or cutting board.
Use a fork to break up the tofu into large chunks.
Now bring a large nonstick skillet to a medium heat and add a little oil to coat the pan. Then add garlic to the hot skillet until it becomes fragrant, then the onion, and then the crumbled tofu. Use a wooden spoon to continue breaking the tofu into small pieces.
Next, add the salt, pepper, and turmeric to the pan and mix to combine. Continuing cooking until it is all mixed together and warmed throughout.
Best Way To Serve Tofu Scramble
The ways to eat tofu scramble are endless!! You can simply use tofu crumbles any way you would use real scrambled eggs. We love to make breakfast tacos or breakfast burritos. But you could also serve them up on some avocado toast or with your favorite pico de gallo, hot sauce, black beans, bell pepper, sliced avocado, green onion, etc.! This vegan tofu scramble recipe is such an easy way to make a filling breakfast while still keeping it plant-based.
- Extra Firm Tofu: we highly recommend using this kind of tofu when making most tofu recipes. You can use soft or medium-firm tofu if you want but we found the best results using extra firm.
- Does tofu blocks need to be squeezed before cooking: You can, but don’t have to. We have prepared it both ways and it turned out great with or without squeezing.
- Squeezing tofu: If you choose to remove some of the excess water, you can simply wrap your tofu in a clean dish towel and place a heavy book or cast iron skillet on top of it for 10-15 minutes.
- Storage: any leftover tofu scramble can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. This also makes it perfect to make ahead of time as meal prep for the week.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Tofu Scramble Recipe – A simple and delicious tofu scramble recipe that can be used in so many ways!! And so easy!
- 1 14oz package extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1–2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1–2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- Remove tofu block from the packaging and place on a plate or pan.
- Use a fork to break the tofu up into large chunks (it will be broken up further in the pan) and set aside.
- Bring a large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Add olive oil and swirl to coat the pan.
- Add garlic and move around the hot pan until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add onion and allow to cook down, about 1-2 minutes.
- Bring the large skillet down to medium-low heat.
- Add tofu and move around the pan, breaking up large tofu chunks until it looks like tofu scrambled eggs.
- Add salt, pepper and turmeric; mix well to combine.
- Taste and add any additional seasoning, as desired.
- Use in your favorite recipe or see serving suggestions below.
- Squeezing liquid from tofu: You can, but you do not have to, remove some of the liquid from the tofu before cooking. Tested it both ways and it turns out great either way. To remove some of the liquid prior to use you can simply wrap tofu in a clean dish towel and place a heavy book or cast iron skillet on top of it for 10-15 minutes. Then use according the recipe.
- Using soft or medium firm tofu: You can use these types of tofu if you want, but for best results we would recommend using extra firm.
- Serving suggestions: Serve on toast with sriracha, or salsa and avocado, or in a breakfast burrito.
- Gluten-Free: check the package to make sure it is certified gluten-free!
Keywords: tofu scramble, how to make tofu scramble