This simple recipe for caramelized Onion Jam makes a perfect topping for an Ultimate Grilled Burger! In less than 30 minutes you have a perfect onion jam that is made with real, simple ingredients.
An Easy Caramelized Onion Jam
We absolutely love grilled burgers here at The Wooden Skillet and we are always looking for new and fun ways to switch up the toppings, enter this onion jam recipe! We simply start it cooking on the stove top while we prep and grill our burgers and when they are ready to eat, the onion jam is ready for going on top. It brings so much great flavor with only 6 real ingredients! You have to try it!
What You Will Need
- olive oil – a splash in the pan to start the caramelizing magic!
- sweet yellow onions – we highly recommend using a sweet yellow onion, but onion jams have been made with red onions too.
- coconut sugar – option to sub this with regular sugar, if you prefer.
- balsamic vinegar – these flavors really compliment the caramelized onions well!
- lemon zest – a little acidity always helps to bring out all of the great flavors.
- kosher salt – just a pinch for some added seasoning.
What Can I Do With Onion Jam
Our absolute favorite way to eat onion jam is to pile it on to of an ultimate grilled bacon cheeseburger! You could also use it on a sandwich or even pile it on top of brie cheese for a little appetizer or snack. Get creative and let us know your favorite way to eat onion jam.
How Long Does Onion Jam Last
Once it has fully cooled you can place it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
How To Make Onion Jam
You can begin by slicing and quartering your onions.
Next, heat up the olive oil in a cast iron skillet.
Place your onion slices in the hot cast iron skillet to begin the caramelization process.
You will want to let them cook for about 15-20 minutes. They will turn a nice brown color.
Now you can add the coconut sugar and let it melt before mixing it around.
Once the sugar has melted you can stir and cook for another 5-6 minutes and then add the rest of the ingredients.
Enjoy any way you want!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Onion Jam – an easy, simple onion jam recipe! Made with simple, real ingredients like coconut sugar and balsamic vinegar!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 sweet yellow onions, sliced and quartered
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- pinch of salt
- Add oil to large cast iron skillet; bring to medium-high heat.
- Add sliced onions and let cook until golden-brown; about 15-20 minutes.
- Add sugar and let melt before stirring.
- Move onions around while they turn a dark brown color – about another 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar, lemon zest and pinch of salt; stir until nice and thick.
- Taste and add any additional sugar, as-desired.
- Coconut sugar: you can use regular sugar if you prefer.
- Storage: store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Serving: we love serving this as a burger topping – try our Ultimate Grilled Bacon Cheeseburgers!
Keywords: onion jam