Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger is a summer must-make menu item! A juicy, delicious grilled beef burger topped with cheese, burger pickles, onion jam, fried onions strings and bacon! All on a yummy pretzel bun!
THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY:
This post is sponsored by Primal Kitchen, the opinions are my own.
Best Ever Bacon Cheeseburgers
Burger Week continues here at The Wooden Skillet and we had to include the burger of all burgers … the Ultimate Grilled Bacon Cheeseburger! Kind of a TWS House Burger if you will, this is our go-to burger with ALL the toppings! We start with a pretzel bun, add an amazingly juicy burger and then we dive into the toppings: Primal Kitchen Organic Unsweetened Squeeze Ketchup (of course), bacon, burger pickles, onion jam and fried onion strings! It’s got a little bit of everything!
One of the reasons these burgers are so DANG good … the amazing Primal Kitchen Organic Unsweetened Squeeze Ketchup!! My go to ketchup whether it is on an epic burger like this, some air fryer hot dogs or french fries! Their ketchup is made from real, simple ingredients without all the extra sugar.
Why This Recipe Works
- Juicy Burger: learn all the tips and tricks for grilling the juiciest burger in our Guide to Grilling the Perfect Burger!
- All the toppings: so. many. toppings. And they all come together to create the perfect bite.
- Flavor: there is so much flavor to go around here – the perfect burger for any cookout or get-together.
Bacon Cheeseburger Ingredients
- 80/20 ground beef: I always grab the 80/20 ground beef for burgers!
- kosher salt + ground black pepper: I generally like to keep my seasoning simple when it comes to burgers and let the meat speak for itself, BUT not everyone feels that way so we also have a Homemade Burger Seasoning on the site!
- cheese: you can use dairy-free or regular.
- bun of your choice: you can use a pretzel bun or any kind of bun you prefer – regular or gluten-free.
- lettuce: I like using butter lettuce or romaine, but you can use whatever you have on hand.
- Primal Kitchen Ketchup: love, love this ketchup!!
- cooked bacon: I like cooking mine in the oven and making it ahead of time!
- burger pickles: absolutely love the tartness this brings, they are such a pop of flavor and stark contrast to the sweet onion jam.
- onion jam or caramelized onions: either work here!
- fried onion strings: these really bring this recipe over the top!
What to Serve with Burgers
How to Make Bacon Cheeseburgers
Combine your ground beef and either our Burger Seasoning or a salt + pepper mix.
Create your patties and press down in the center with your thumb.
Grill over direct heat according the recipe card instructions. Add cheese slices for the last minute or so and move to indirect heat if you need to.
Build your burger!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger – a juicy and delicious epic cheeseburger recipe with bacon, pickles, onion jam and fried onions!!
- 1 lb 80/20 ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 slices American cheese
- bun of your choice (I love using a pretzel bun for this!)
- lettuce (butter lettuce, romaine, etc.)
- Primal Kitchen Organic Unsweetened Squeeze Ketchup or Primal Kitchen Thousand Island Dressing
- cooked bacon slices
- burger pickles
- onion jam or caramelized onions
- fried onion strings
- Prep Toppings: prep your onion jam and fried onion strings; set aside.
- Clean your Grill: Clean your grill grates and and wipe them down with oil.
- Preheat your Grill: Once your grill is clean and greased, preheat to High Heat (450-500 degrees F.).
- Mix Your Ground Beef: Place your ground beef in a bowl and add salt and pepper (and other seasoning, as desired). Mix to combine.
- Divide the Ground Beef: Take your ground beef and create 6 equal sized balls (you should end up with 6 patties that are approximately 5-6oz each and approximately 3/4 inches thick).
- Create Patties: Then use your hands to form patties (try not to overwork the meat). Try and make them a little bit bigger than your bun (if you are using one) as they will shrink a little as they cook.
- Create Indent with Thumb: Use your thumb to create an indent in the very center of your patty (this will help ensure the burgers cook evenly without expanding too much in the middle).
- Season Lightly: Sprinkle patties with a little more salt and pepper.
- Cook on Direct Heat 6-7 Minutes Total: Place patties on direct heat (directly over flame) for 3-4 minutes. Flip and continue to cook on direct heat or until an internal meat thermometer reads between 135-145 degrees F (approx. another 3-4 mins). This will result in a medium-rare center. For Medium: cook 3 minutes on the first side and 5 minutes on the second side. For Medium-Well cook 3 minutes on the first side and seven minutes on the second side. For Well-Done cook for 4 minutes soon the first side and six minutes on the second side.
- Don’t Press Down: Do not press down on the burgers with your spatula. This will release juices that we want to keep in the burger.
- If Making Cheeseburgers: If you are making cheeseburgers, move your burgers to indirect heat and place a slice of cheese on top. Close the grill and let the cheese melt for 1-2 minutes.
- Let Rest: Remove from grill and let rest for at least 5 minutes. This will help ensure your burgers are nice and juicy!
- Build Burgers: place lettuce on top of the bottom bun followed by your cheeseburger, ketchup, bacon slices, burger pickles, onion jam and fried onion strings. Place the top of the burger bun on top and dig in!
- Burger Seasoning: if you want something more than the classic salt and pepper seasoning – try our Burger Seasoning instead!
- Fried Onion Strings: if you don’t want to make these from scratch you can simply omit or buy a store-bought version.
- Dairy-Free: to make this recipe dairy-free simply opt for a dairy-free cheese slice.
- Gluten-Free: to make this recipe gluten-free simply use your favorite gluten-free hamburger bun.
Keywords: grilled burger