This simple step-by-step tutorial will teach you everything you need to know about How to Grill Onions. These perfectly grilled onions are perfect for tossing on burgers, in a burger bowl or on a grilled chicken salad!
How To Make Perfectly Grilled Onions
During those hot summer months we love making everything on the grill to avoid heating up the house with the stove or oven! So grilled burgers and fresh summer salads are on regular rotation at our house and both taste better with some grilled onions on top – the added flavor is out of this world. The heat of the grill gives onions a little bit of caramelization that is gives them the perfect sweetness – so good! You have to try them, you won’t regret it!
And if you love onions on burgers as much as we do, then you also have to checkout our fried onion strings! Another great way to level up any burger for your next bbq!
What You Will Need
- large onions – we used red onions, but any of your favorite onions will work!
- olive oil – a drizzle helps with a slight caramelization and char on the outside.
- kosher salt & pepper – the perfect simple seasoning when grilling any veggies.
Which Onion Is Best For Grilling
In the photos below, we used a red onion which is a great option for grilling. You could also use a sweet yellow or Vidalia onion, this one will give you a sweeter, more caramelized onion. Just choose the onion with the taste that you like best! Any will work!
How To Make Grilled Onions
First, you can begin by cutting your onion of choice into large, 3/4 inch slices.
How Do You Cut An Onion For Grilling
This is a great question! You want to keep your onion slices fairly thick so that they don’t fall between the grill grates or get too soft too quick and fall apart. We recommend an onion slice that is about 3/4 of an inch thick. This can be done using a sharp knife or a mandolin to ensure the slices are uniform.
Drizzle the onion slices with some olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper.
Then place the slices on a clean, preheated grill and cook on direct, medium heat or medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes per side or until they are nice and tender.
Enjoy any way you want!
Are Grilled Onions The Same As Caramelized Onions
No, they are not. When you grill an onion it will result in some slight caramelizing but it is not a fully caramelized onion. Grilled onions are thicker and stay more crisp or firm. A fully caramelized onion can be sliced much thinner and in the end they will be much softer and more brown in color. To make true caramelized onions you have to checkout our post on how to caramelize onions.
Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3-5 days.
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Other Grilled Vegetables You Might Like
Easy Grilled Broccoli
How To Grill Zucchini
Grilled Corn On The Cob In Foil
How to Grill Onions
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Total Time: 11 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
How to Grill Onions – if you are looking for a simple, straight-forward tutorial on how to grill onions – this is it!
- 1 onion (red, yellow or white)
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- Preheat the grill to 450 degrees F and clean the grill grates.
- Thickly slice onion (about 3/4 inch thick) into circles.
- Place on baking sheet or large plate and drizzle with olive oil. Using hands rub the oil all over the onion slices (carefully keeping all of the rings in tact).
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill on direct heat (directly over flame) for 3-4 minutes per side, or until each side is nicely charred.
- Remove from grill and serve immediately – we love them on a perfectly grilled burger!
- Cook time: The longer you grill the onion, the softer it will become. If you prefer more crispy onions, definitely cook closer to the 6 minute mark. If you want softer, more charred onion then cook closer to the 8 minute mark.
- Storage: simply store grilled onions in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Keywords: how to grill onion, grilled onions
Leave a Rating & Comment