Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta is the perfect way to elevate your typical brussel sprouts into a classy, savory side dish that everyone will love!
Best Ever Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta
I was recently challenged to make a recipe that “made brussel sprouts taste good.” Well, here is my attempt. I immediately thought of Corned Beef and Cabbage and how brussel sprouts are essentially tiny, little cabbages…. And I love, love, LOVE the cabbage in corned beef and cabbage – with a little butter and salt. So good. Then I thought of the popular recipes with brussel sprouts and bacon – also yummy. So I kind of mashed those two ideas together in my head and Poof – Roasted Brussel Sprouts + Pancetta and Red Pepper Flakes was born.
Why This Recipe Works
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts: we roast the brussel sprouts separately so they don’t get mushy!
- Pancetta: the fat renders after cooking for a delicious, savory flavor!
- Acidity: that touch of lemon zest just rounds out the flavors here without being over-powering.
What You Will Need
- brussel sprouts: remove the outer, dirty leaves, slice of the stem and then halve.
- olive oil + kosher salt: toss the brussel sprouts in this before roasting.
- butter or ghee: we add just a little of this to the pan to saute the pancetta and shallots.
- shallots + pancetta: these combine for a delicious flavor combo!
- fresh lemon zest: adds just a little bit of much-needed acidity.
- ground black pepper + red pepper flakes: add as much or as little of these as you want!
How to Make Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta
Prep your ingredients.
Toss your brussel sprouts in olive oil and salt; toss. Roast on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Cook your shallots and pancetta and add in lemon zest.
Add in roasted brussel sprouts and remaining ingredients. Toss to coat.
Serve and enjoy!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta – a flavorful and delicious side dish for any occasion! Easy enough for any meal!
- 20–25 brussel sprouts (cleaned – remove outer layer of leaves – with core/base removed and then cut in half)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter (use ghee to make Whole30)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons diced shallots
- 1/2–3/4 cup diced pancetta
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Place brussel sprouts in medium bowl.
- Add olive oil and 1 teaspoons salt; toss to coat evenly.
- Place brussel sprouts on foil or parchment-lined cookie sheet and roast in oven for 20-25 minutes at 350; remove halfway 10-12 minutes to toss.
- Remove brussel sprouts and set aside.
- In medium-large skillet, add butter and let melt.
- Then add shallots and let sweat about 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly on medium.
- Add pancetta and lemon zest.
- Let cook, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes.
- Then add roasted brussel sprouts, pepper and red pepper flakes (optional).
- Stir until mixed well.
- Serve immediately.
- For paleo/Whole30: just double check your pancetta ingredients and use ghee instead of butter.
- Dairy-Free: to make dairy-free you can use vegan butter in place of regular butter.
Keywords: Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta
Originally published December 4, 2016.