Roasted Brussel Sprouts + Pancetta and Red Pepper Flakes is the perfect way to elevate your typical brussel sprouts into a classy, savory side dish that everyone will love!
Ah….the Brussel Sprout. I was recently challenged to make a recipe that “made brussel sprouts taste good.” Well, here is my attempt. I immediately thought of Corned Beef and Cabbage and how brussel sprouts are essentially tiny, little cabbages…. And I love, love, LOVE the cabbage in corned beef and cabbage – with a little butter and salt. So good. Then I thought of the popular recipes with brussel sprouts and bacon – also yummy. So I kind of mashed those two ideas together in my head and Poof – Roasted Brussel Sprouts + Pancetta and Red Pepper Flakes was born.
I kept true to my fondness for cabbage + butter + salt – there is plenty of butter thrown in . But first you have to roast the brussel sprouts to get that nice char. Then, toss with butter, shallots, lemon zest and a healthy dose of pancetta. The pancetta adds some more fat and savoriness to the dish. I threw in just a little bit of red pepper flakes, just to add that little bit of extra kick (you can obviously leave that out if you choose).
It must have been good because after the photo shoot, my husband and I were continually picking out of the bowl. In other words, challenge accepted and conquered. These are damn good. And really easy to make. If you are looking for a fun, new Christmas recipe this year, this should be a new side dish you bring to the mix. Everyone will looooove it.
I hope you all have a good start to your week!
- 20-25 brussel sprouts (cleaned – remove outer layer of leaves – with core/base removed and then cut in half)
- 2-3 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 Teaspoons salt, divided
- 4 Tablespoons butter (use ghee to make Whole30)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons diced shallots
- 1/2-3/4 cup diced pancetta
- 1/2 Teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Place brussel sprouts in medium bowl.
- Add olive oil and 2 Teaspoons salt; toss to coat evenly.
- Place brussel sprouts on foil-lined cookie sheet and roast in oven for 20-25 minutes at 350; remove after 10-12 minutes to stir.
- Remove brussel sprouts and set aside.
- In medium-large skillet, add butter and let melt.
- Then add shallots and let sweat, about 2-3 minutes stirring constantly on medium.
- Add pancetta and lemon zest.
- Let cook, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes.
- Then add brussel sprouts, remaining 1 Teaspoon of salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Stir until mixed well.
- Serve immediately.