This quick & easy Salsa Rice is an easy side dish that has fluffy rice, black beans, corn, and salsa that brings a bit of spice! Perfect for pairing with any Mexican or Spanish-inspired meal!
Quick & Easy Salsa Rice
This flavorful dish is one of those amazing recipes that is so versatile you could enjoy it as a simple side dish (we love serving it with our Enchilada Casserole), but also hearty enough that you could even enjoy it as a main dish. There have definitely been some busy weeknights that we made this as a vegetarian main dish or tossed in some leftover chicken, if we have some from a previous meal. We have also used a similar rice mixture for making Mexican Stuffed Peppers! No matter how you serve it, you are going to love all the great flavors that are going to wake-up all your tastebuds!
Another great rice side dish is our always popular, Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe!
What You Will Need
- olive oil – a splash in the pan to help with sautéing the onion and garlic.
- sweet yellow onion & garlic – classic combination to get the flavor party started!
- canned green chilis – a traditional component for any Mexican-inspired dish.
- chunky salsa – we went with a mild salsa, but feel free to kick up the spice and go with a medium or hot option.
- long-grain white rice – if you decide to go with another rice option you will probably need to adjust your cooking time.
- chicken broth – you also could use a vegetable broth if you prefer.
- cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, kosher salt, & pepper – a group of seasonings that really brings a lot of great flavor!
- black beans – just make sure you give them a quick rinse before adding to the dish.
- frozen corn – personally, we love using frozen corn but you could also used canned.
How Should I Serve Salsa Rice
Great question! We have so many amazing options. If you are keeping it as a side dish you could serve it alongside some healthy chicken enchiladas, easy taco stuffed peppers, or a chicken enchilada casserole. It is also hearty enough to be enjoyed as a vegetarian main dish, on its own, or you could add some leftover chicken or easily make some shredded chicken to toss in!
This rice can easily be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Perfect for enjoying as leftovers or a simple weekday lunch!
How To Make Salsa Rice
First, you can begin by gathering your ingredients.
Now, you can drizzle some olive oil in a large cast iron skillet and sauté the onion and garlic on medium-high heat.
Next, add the rice, salsa, and green chilis.
And the broth and spices. Mix with a large spoon to fully combine and make sure the rice is completely submerged for even cooking. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes.
Then add the rinsed black beans and frozen corn.
Stir to fully combine and enjoy any way you want!
- Serving: serve with Healthier Chicken Enchiladas or Chicken Enchilada Casserole!
- Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Cheesy Topping: after you toss in the beans and corn feel free to add some shredded cheese (regular or dairy-free) on top!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Salsa Rice – an easy and delicious salsa rice recipe that is packed with flavor and simple, real ingredients. The perfect side dish!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 4oz can green chiles
- 1 16oz jar mild, chunky salsa
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Bring large skillet to medium high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat the pan.
- Add garlic and move around pan until fragrant, approx. 30 seconds.
- Add onion, salt and pepper.
- Move around until onion softens, approx. 1 minute.
- Add green chiles, salsa, white rice, broth, cumin, chili powder and garlic powder. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer. Cover and let cook 15-20 minutes or until rice is fully cooked.
- Add black beans and corn. Stir to combine.
- Serve with your favorite recipe – we love it with this Chicken Enchilada Casserole!
Keywords: salsa rice