Dreamy Dairy-Free Broccoli Cheese Soup (Whole30/Paleo/Vegan)
This post is sponsored by Califia®, but the opinions are my own.
Let me introduce you to your new favorite soup….
I am beyond excited to share this Dreamy Dairy-Free Broccoli-Cheese Soup with you guys!! As someone that is allergic to dairy, I SO crave a creamy and delicious bowl of broccoli cheese soup whenever the weather turns cool …. and FINALLY I have created the most amazing dairy-free broccoli cheese soup I have ever tasted! I mean, it tastes exactly the same as “regular” broccoli cheese soup!
The secret is in the amazing cashew “cheese” sauce made with cashews, Calfia® unsweetened almond milk and nutritional yeast. I have been playing around with this mixture FOREVER and this is not the last recipe you will see it in!
But, if you want to make this you are going to need the following:
- some high quality nutritional yeast
- raw cashews
- Califia unsweetened almond milk
- high-powered blender
This will be on rotation this fall/winter for sure!!
Love broccoli + cheese – make sure you check out my “Cheesy” Broccoli Twice Baked Potatoes!!
- 1 Tablespoon minced shallots
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup very finely chopped celery
- 4⅕ cup chopped broccoli into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups vegetable broth (if Whole30 check your ingredients)
- 1½ cup raw cashews (soak overnight in water)
- 1¼ cup Califia unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup + 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 Teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- In large sauce pan, add olive oil and shallots and bring to medium high heat; stir shallots and let reduce for approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Add celery and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes (add another Tablespoon of olive oil if you need to).
- Once celery has cooked down, add broccoli and vegetable broth.
- Bring to a simmer.
- In high-powered blender, add cashews (drain first), almond milk, nutritional yeast and salt.
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy (use spatula to scrape down sides several times) approximately 4 minutes.
- Once your the vegetable broth has been simmering for about 5 minutes, add your cashew sauce and start stirring to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and continue stirring - soup will thicken after a couple of minutes.
- Taste and add additional salt, as desired. (I added another ½ Teaspoon).
This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting The Wooden Skillet.