Caprese Burger is a light and delicious summer meal that always hits the spot! A juicy chicken burger topped with melted, fresh mozzarella, balsamic glaze, basil and garden-fresh tomatoes!
THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY:
This post is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill, the opinions are my own.
Delicious Caprese Burger
Warm weather is in full swing and grilling season is upon us!! Burgers are a go-to in our house and these Caprese Burgers are perfect for a hot summer day when something light and easy needs to be on the menu. The patties can be prepped ahead of time and hopefully you have some garden tomatoes or basil you can use too!
We excited to be partnering with Bob’s Red Mill on this recipe and using the Super Fine Almond Flour as a binder in this recipe! The only almond flour I ever use – it never lets me down (if you need a good dessert option – these Almond Flour Brownies are perfect any time of year!).
Why This Recipe Works
- Juicy Chicken Burger: we took our classic chicken burger recipe and gave it a caprese makeover! So juicy and packed with flavor.
- Gluten-Free Friendly: use a gluten-free hamburger bun to make this a great gluten-free meal! Of course a lettuce bun always works too if that is your preference.
- Caprese Ingredients: the fresh mozzarella paired with basil, tomato and balsamic glaze are classic and delicious.
Caprese Burger Ingredients
- ground chicken: to the extent possible, ensure you pick the least lean option you can find.
- Bob’s Red Mill Super Fine Almond Flour: this helps act as a binder to help hold everything together.
- white onion – you will grate the onion onto some paper towel and then squeeze out the excess liquid.
- frozen butter – you will also be grating some frozen butter to add a bit of extra fat and juiciness – of course, this can be omitted if you want to keep things leaner – totally your call.
- garlic – everything is always better with a little garlic!
- mayo – adds a bit of flavor and some more moisture to keep things juicy.
- worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, & liquid smoke – a delicious flavor combo that pairs really well with the ground turkey.
- lemon zest – just a sprinkling to help bring out all the great flavors.
- parmesan cheese – feel free to use dairy-free or regular.
- kosher salt & pepper – add a little to the burger patties once they are formed for some added seasoning.
- sliced cheese – we love using a classic American cheese, but these would also be good with sliced swiss or provolone!
- bun of choice – just grab your favorite! Option to get whole wheat, gluten-free, or a simple lettuce bun.
- toppings – you have to use sliced, fresh mozzarella as well as some fresh basil and garden-fresh sliced tomato.
What to Serve with Caprese Burgers
How to Make a Caprese Burger
Grate the onion over a few pieces of paper towel.
Squeeze out excess liquid.
Grate the frozen butter.
Add burger ingredients to a bowl.
Stir to combine.
Create patties, create an indent in the center with your thumb and place in the freezer for 20 minutes. Remove from the freezer and season with salt and pepper right before grilling.
Ensure grill grates are clean and rub with an oil-soaked paper towel.
Cook patties over direct heat according to recipe instructions below.
Place mozzarella on top of burgers for the last 2-3 minutes of cook time.
Let burgers rest for 5 minutes once they come of the grill.
Build your burger!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Caprese Burgers – a delicious, juicy chicken burger with melted fresh mozzarella, basil, fresh tomato slices and balsamic glaze!
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Super Fine Almond Flour
- 1/4 cup shredded white onion, excess water squeeze out
- 2–3 tablespoons shredded frozen butter*
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon worcesterhire sauce
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded parmesan cheese
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- (optional) 4 slices American cheese
- bun of your choice (regular or gluten-free)
- 8 fresh mozzarella slices
- 8fresh tomato slices
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- balsamic glaze (store-bought or homemade)
- Ensure grill grates are clean and heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place a cheese grater on top of 2-3 pieces of paper towel. Grate the white onion on top of the paper towel. Use the paper towel to gently squeeze out as much of the excess moisture from the onion.
- Use the same cheese grater to shred the frozen butter (if using).
- In a large bowl combine ground chicken, almond flour, grated white onion, grated butter, garlic, worcestershire, mayo, dijon, lemon zest, liquid smoke and parmesan cheese.
- Fully combine.
- Prepare a small parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Divide mixture into 4 equal patties about 1/2-3/4 inches thick on the cookie sheet. Press down in the middle with your thumb to create an indent.
- Place in the freezer for 20 minutes (this ensures it will be easy for you to lift them off the cookie sheet and they will hold their shape on the grill).
- Season the top generously with kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- Take a piece of paper towel and put a little olive oil on it – hold it with a pair of tongs and rub the olive oil on the hot grill carefully.
- Place burgers on the grill over direct heat and close the lid.
- Let cook 5-6 minutes per side or until they reach 160 degrees F. internal temperature.
- Place fresh mozzarella slices on top of burgers during the last 2-3 minutes of cook time. Move burgers to indirect heat if you need a bit more time.
- Remove and let rest 5 minutes.
- To build burger: place fresh basil on top of the bottom bun. Follow with chicken burger, tomato, balsamic glaze and top bun.
- *Frozen Butter – if you are looking to really keep these chicken burgers lean, you can definitely omit the butter BUT if you are just looking for a juicy chicken burger then definitely include this step!
- Make ahead: feel free to make the patties the day before. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Freeze: to make these ahead and freeze simply make patties and then place a piece of parchment between them as you stack. Place in a freezer-safe bag, label and place in freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight and then grill according to the instructions above.
Keywords: caprese burger