Dairy Free Dijon Chicken – a light and delicious one-skillet meal!
Delicious Dairy-Free Dijon Chicken Skillet
Can’t wait for you guys to try this one!!
Sometimes we can get a little tired of the same old, same old recipes. I totally get it. A lot of the same flavors can get used over and over again – that’s what I love about this dish. This creamy, dairy-free mustard sauce is so unique and has a completely different flavor than you are used to! Its a fun way to mix up some flavors during the week!
Dairy-Free Mustard Sauce
The mustard sauce is the focal point of this recipe and absolutely delicious!! I used coconut milk for a thick and creamy texture, then added dijon mustard, tarragon, lemon juice, chicken broth and salt and pepper — towards the end you whisk in some arrowroot for a gluten-free/Whole30 thickener (I use it all the time to thicken soups like this one and this one).
Also note you can use boneless chicken breasts OR chicken thighs – whichever you prefer!
Other delicious dairy-free skillet dinners:
30 Minute Lemon Caper Salmon Skillet
Dairy-Free Creamy Tomato Skillet
Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, check out my Instagram account or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!Print
Dairy Free Dijon Chicken
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4–5 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Dairy Free Dijon Chicken – A light and delicious one-skillet meal! (Whole30/Paleo/Dairy-Free)
- 2–3 Tablespoons ghee (or olive oil)
- 1.5–2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast OR bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (fully incorporate with immersion blender first)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 Teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 Teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1 Tablespoon arrowroot
- 10 baby Yukon gold potatoes, quartered
- Optional: 1-2 cups chopped broccolini (alternatively you can simply roast the broccolini separately and serve as a side dish) – regular broccoli work just fine
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- In large cast iron skillet (I would recommend a 12 inch skillet/2 inches deep), heat to medium high heat and add ghee, allowing it to melt.
- Sear chicken on each side, 3-4 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, combine coconut milk, chicken broth, dijon mustard, lemon juice and tarragon in medium mixing bowl; whisk to combine.
- Pour mustard mixture around chicken and bring to simmer.
- Let simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, flipping chicken halfway through.
- Remove chicken and place on plate, setting aside.
- Add arrowroot to pan and whisk to fully combine.
- Add potatoes to pan and then nestle chicken.
- Allow it to simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered, using a small whisk to continue to mix the sauce around the chicken, intermittently.
- If adding broccolini, add with approx. 5-7 minutes left to simmer and then cover to let broccolini steam.
- Taste and add salt, pepper or additional lemon juice, as desired.
Keywords: mustard chicken, skillet dinner, whole30, dairy-free
Thank you so much for reading & supporting The Wooden Skillet! This post contains affiliate links for products I actually use in my own home and personally recommend. Should you make a purchase using one of these links, The Wooden Skillet will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to bring you great original content. Thank you!
Served with parsnips
Vnice , thank you
Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for leaving your feedback – I really appreciate it!