How to Cut Delicata Squash – an easy, step-by-step tutorial that teaches you how to cut a delicata squash – simple tips and tricks!
How To Cut Delicata Squash 101
We are big fans of any kind of squash at our house and every fall we love mixing it up by making some delicate squash too! The first time we decided to make one we thought it might be tricky, but it turns out that it’s actually very simple. The best part is that you don’t have to scoop it out of the shell, like other squash. You can simply cut it, roast it, and eat it with the rind still in tact. Such a simple side dish to any meal!
What You Will Need
- delicata squash – the number of squash that you need depends on the size of your group or family. We usually make 2 for dinner.
- cutting board – a sturdy cutting board that doesn’t slide around – we love this one!
- sharp knife – you will want a fairly large knife that can cut the squash in half length-wise.
How To Pick A Good Delicata Squash
You will want to find a squash that is firm and avoid one that has soft spots or skin that is very wrinkly. It should be a light, creamy yellow color with green striations on its rind. A delicata squash that is not ripe will be light green in color.
Do You Have To Peel A Delicata Squash?
Nope! This really makes it the easiest squash ever! The rind is fairly soft and tender so you can just cook it and enjoy it with the skin on.
How to Cook Delicata Squash
After you have followed the easy steps below for cutting up the delicata squash you can place the squash slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet, rub them down with olive oil, sprinkle on a bit of kosher salt and then bake them at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes.
How To Cut Delicata Squash
Step one – place on a cutting board and slice off the ends with a sharp knife.
Step two – cut the squash in half length-wise.
Step three – use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and strings on the inside.
Step four – place half of the squash on the cutting board with the rind side up, then cut 1/4 – 1/2 inch slices all the way down the squash.
Step five – enjoy your squash any way you want!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
How to Cut Delicata Squash – an easy, step-by-step tutorial that teaches you how to cut a delicata squash
- 1–2 delicata squash
- Pick out a ripe delicata squash and place on a cutting board.
- Use a large, sharp knife to cut both ends off the squash.
- Cut the squash in half, length-wise.
- Use a spoon to scoop out all of the seeds and strings from the inside of the squash.
- Place half of the squash on the cutting board with the rind side up and cut it into 1/4 – 1/2 inch slices moving down the squash.
- Complete these steps for all of the squash that you are making.
- Enjoy your squash any way you want!
Keywords: how to cut a delicata squash