How to Roast Acorn Squash – an easy step-by-step process to make the best acorn squash! A delicious and kid-friendly addition to any meal. (paleo/Whole 30)
A quick and easy way to cook one of my favorite fall and winter side dishes – acorn squash!
How to Safely Cut an Acorn Squash:
I know people commonly get frustrated/nervous cutting an acorn squash in half. Here are my tips for making it a little easier:
- Use a larger knife that is clean and sharpened.
- Make sure it is not on a slippery surface.
- Place the whole acorn squash in the microwave and cook on high for about 2-3 minutes. This will help soften the outside just enough to help you cut it with a little more ease.
How to Clean an Acorn Squash:
Cleaning an acorn squash is very similar to any other squash or pumpkin. Once you have sliced it in half lengthwise, simply take a spoon or ice cream scoop and clean out the seeds, etc. until you can scrape the inside clean!
How to Store Roasted Acorn Squash:
It can be stored in the refrigerator for about 4-5 days.
What Should I Serve with Roasted Acorn Squash?
You could serve roasted acorn squash as a side dish with any meat (chicken, pork, etc.) but I love to serve it with the perfect grilled steak. It’s a tried and true favorite!
Tip – How and When to Pick Acorn Squash
Here is the step-by-step:
Step 1: Cut squash in half lengthwise
Step 2: Scrape out seeds
Step 3: rub with avocado oil
Step 4: Roast on parchment-lined baking sheet. Then remove from oven and let cool slightly before scooping out to serve or store in the refrigerator.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- Baked Creamy Corn Acorn Squash
- How to Roast Spaghetti Squash in the Oven
- Simple Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, check out my Instagram account or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!Print
How to Roast Acorn Squash
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 2–4 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
How to Roast Acorn Squash – a simple and easy method for roasting acorn squash!
- 1 or more acorn squash, halved lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Take halved acorn squash and scoop out the seeds, scraping clean and hollowing out the inside.
- Rub the cut side with avocado oil.
- Place cut side open on a baking sheet (feel free to put some foil or parchment underneath).
- Roast for 50-60 minutes.
- Test with fork, it should be very tender and easily pierced. If for some reason it isn’t yet, continue baking at 10 minute increments until fully cooked and tender.
- we love to serve with a little ghee (or butter), pinch of salt and a little maple syrup!
Keywords: how to roast acorn squash, roasted acorn squash
Recipe was spot on- texture was great! We sprinkled a little sea salt on what we ate today. I’m going to add the plain pieces to a smoothie.