This tutorial on How to Make Croutons is super simple! These homemade croutons add the perfect crunch and are full of great flavor that you can easily customize. The perfect topping for a variety of soups and salads!
How To Make Homemade Croutons
Anytime we have some bread in the pantry that is about to go bad I immediately think – croutons!! They are so simple to throw together, in a variety of different flavors, and are perfect for leveling up all of your favorite soups & salads. Or you if it is close to the holidays you can easily use them in your favorite stuffing recipe! Plus, if you are in need of breadcrumbs you can just get out your rolling pin and in minutes you can turn your croutons into homemade breadcrumbs!
What You Will Need
- large pieces of bread – we highly recommend sourdough (shown in the photos), but any bread will work – even gluten free!
- olive oil – just a drizzle to help with crisping up those delicious little croutons.
- seasoning – we kept it simple with kosher salt & Italian seasoning but you can get creative with different flavors.
How Do You Keep Homemade Croutons Crispy
First, make sure to bake your croutons long enough to achieve to your desired level of crispness. After they have finished baking and they have cooled, you can place them in a large plastic or reusable bag (we love these) and then try to get as much air out as you can. Air or humidity can cause them to soften or get stale. They can be stored at room temp.
How Long Do Baked Croutons Last
These croutons will last for about a week in an airtight container, but they definitely taste their best in the first 2-3 days.
Ways To Use Homemade Croutons
If you are asking me, I could just munch on these crispy little croutons all by themselves! So good! As a topping they are the perfect addition to a Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad, Tomato Basil Soup, or toss them in a batch of Wild Rice Stuffing! No matter how you serve them, they are going to knock people’s socks off!
How To Make Croutons
Cut your bread into cubes – as big or small as you would like them.
Drizzle with olive oil.
Sprinkle on your desired seasonings.
And place them on a baking sheet, make sure it isn’t to crowded.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway.
Enjoy any way you want!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
How to Make Croutons – an easy, simple recipe for homemade croutons that turns out perfectly every time! Perfect for soups or salads!
- 6–8 large pieces of bread
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut up bread into 1 inch by 1 inch sized pieces.
- Place in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil; toss to coat.
- Sprinkle in salt and seasoning; toss to coat.
- Place on baking sheet and bake, middle rack, for 15-20 minutes turning halfway.
- Let cool and then use in your favorite soups and salads (we love them in this Tomato Basil Soup and this Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad).
- Type of Bread: feel free to use whatever type you want – we used sourdough in the photos and they turned out SO GOOD!
- Different Seasonings: feel free to play around with the seasoning and use some garlic powder or anything else that sounds good!
- Storage: These croutons will last for about a week in an airtight container, but they definitely taste their best in the first 2-3 days.
Keywords: how to make croutons