Follow along as we show you just how easy it is to make Instant Pot Butternut Squash! It is such a timesaver! Perfect for enjoying as an easy side dish, toss in your favorite creamy soup, or use in any of your favorite butternut squash recipes.
Easy Instant Pot Butternut Squash
This is the best process to use when cooking butternut squash! We have been on a serious butternut squash kick lately – and sometimes I just don’t feel like heating up the oven, ya know?! I remembered how easy it is to make Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash (one of our favorite recipes) and figured why not try a butternut squash in the Instant Pot!? We are so glad that it worked perfectly and is now our go-to cooking method for making tender butternut squash every time.
Of course, if you have the time and prefer the flavor of roasted butternut squash you can do that too!
What You Will Need
- butternut squash – pick up a medium-sized butternut squash at your local grocery stores or farmer’s market.
- water – keep it simple with water or add some more flavor by using vegetable broth or chicken broth.
Tips for Picking the Best Winter Squash
Here is a great list of things to look for when picking out your winter squash! So helpful!
How To Cook Butternut Squash In The Instant Pot
Lay down your ripe butternut squash on a cutting board.
Use a sharp knife to cut it in half, lengthwise.
Use a large spoon to scoop out all the seeds and strings.
Pour cup of water in to the Instant Pot (or electronic pressure cooker) and place the trivet at the bottom.
Place butternut squash inside the inner pot of the Instant pot with the cut sides facing up.
Secure the lid on top and cook on High Pressure for 9 minutes.
Now you can let the squash cool to room temperature and scoop out the tender butternut squash and use any way you want!
Best Ways To Use Instant Pot Butternut Squash
There are so many great ways to use cooked butternut squash! This delicious vegetable is packed with so much nutrition and has a naturally sweet taste. It makes a great side dish when topped with some butter, salt, black pepper, or drizzle of maple syrup for some added sweetness. Another great option would be to add some brown sugar, fresh ginger, or even red pepper flakes. You can also use it to make an easy butternut squash soup. Or you can try to sneak some in to a bowl of oatmeal or smoothies.
To make create a more creamy texture, you can scoop the butternut squash in to a regular blender or food processor and whip with coconut milk or heavy cream. This is not necessary, just an option if you like that smoother texture.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Instant Pot Butternut Squash – a great way to cook a whole butternut squash in a matter of minutes! Easy for making creamy butternut squash soup this soup season!
- 1 medium or small butternut squash
- 1 cup water (or vegetable broth)
Halved Butternut Squash:
- Cut butternut squash in half lengthwise (cut off the bottom inch, if needed to fit in the Instant Pot).
- Use an ice cream scoop or spoon to scoop out and discard the seeds.
- Pour water in bottom of Instant Pot and place trivet inside.
- Place butternut squash on top of the trivet, scooped side up.
- Ensure Instant Pot is sealed.
- Close lid and cook on High Pressure for 9 minutes.
- Naturally release for 5 minutes.
- Quick release remaining steam according to manufacturers instructions.
- Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. Serve as a side dish or use it in your favorite butternut squash recipe.
- Smaller Butternut Squash: If you have a really small butternut squash you could reduce the cook time to 8 minutes.
Keywords: Instant Pot Butternut Squash