This super easy Slow Cooker Applesauce is a set-it-and-forget-it recipe that is perfect for the surplus of apples you probably have after visiting your local apple orchard! Made with only 5 simple ingredients and no added sugar. Your house will smell amazing and you will have a healthy snack the whole family will love!
The Best Slow Cooker Applesauce (No Sugar)
Every year we go to the apple orchard and every year we come back with an abundance of fresh apples because, of course, every kid needs to pick their own bag! What do you do with ALL those juicy apples? You make homemade applesauce in the slow cooker! This easy recipe quickly became a family favorite during this time of the year and we will be making it every year from now on. We cannot recommend it enough, plus the magically Fall aroma that it gives off in the kitchen is out of this world!
And if you need a delicious recipe that uses more apples, try making our Apple Cinnamon Muffins! A simple weekend baking project that will make breakfast for the week.
Why This Recipe Works
- Set and Forget: love that you can dump everything in the slow cooker and then just walk away – so convenient!
- No Sugar: no added sugar here! In my opinion, apples are sweet enough as they are, who needs extra sugar in there.
- Freezer-Friendly: this makes a pretty big batch, so feel free to store some in the fridge for immediate use and then freeze some as well.
What You Will Need
- whole apples: we used honey crisp apples, because they are already pretty sweet – that is what we would recommend. However, any variety of apple will work with this recipe!
- water: this helps keep things from drying out, especially in the beginning before the apples start to cook down.
- nutmeg + cloves: the absolute best fall spices!
- salt: this just helps accentuate the flavors – we only use a pinch.
- cinnamon sticks: love adding these in for that beautiful cinnamon flavor.
How To Make Slow Cooker Applesauce
The first steps to making this crock pot applesauce are to get busy peeling! Option to carefully peel the apples with a sharp knife or use an apple peeling machine. Then remove the seeds and core and cut each apple into large slices.
Now place all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and secure the lid on top.
Cook the peeled apple slices on the high setting for about 3 hours. Finally, give them a mix and that’s it. You’re done!
- Apples: the type of apple that you use is entirely up to you! We are partial to honey crisp apples or sweet tango apples, maybe because they are common here in Minnesota, but you can use any of your favorite types of apples. Obviously, a sweeter apple is going to result in a sweeter applesauce.
- Spices: feel free to adjust any of the spices to your own personal preference.
- Freezing: when making a large batch like this you might want to freeze some. To do this, just put some cooled applesauce in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container (leaving room for expansion on the top) and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Canning Applesauce: checkout this great article on everything you need to know for Safely Canning Applesauce!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Slow Cooker Applesauce – A delicious and easy slow cooker applesauce recipe! No added sugar!
- 1/2 peck of apples (5 or 6 pounds), peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1–2 cinnamon sticks
- Add apples, water, nutmeg, salt and ground cloves to slow cooker. Place the lid on top.
- Cook on the high setting for 3 hours.
- Mix with a spoon to combine.
- Feel free to use an immersion blender for a smoother texture, otherwise just mix together with a spoon.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 3
- Sugar: 0.5 g
- Sodium: 62.5 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0.8 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: slow cooker applesauce