Sweet Apple Cinnamon Yam Bake is a savory side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas that is easy and everyone will love!
This recipe is one of my all-time favorites. A must-have for Thanksgiving. I am pulling it out of my Mom’s adorable wooden recipe box where she keeps hand-written recipes on actual recipe cards, which, by the way, more people should do. There is something about combing through all of the worn, stained recipe cards that is completely nostaligic and beautiful. This would be one of the recipes you would come across. It is a wonderfully sweet and savory side dish that will be a stand-out at your holiday meal – I promise.
Not only is it sweet and delectable, but it is pretty darn easy to make. It is a little tedious to peel and slice the apples, but it only calls for 5… you can handle it.
Those apples are layered with canned yam (yes, canned – just trust me they actually taste amazing) with a generous amount of cinnamon sprinkled on top and then this savory, sweet sauce is poured over everything and baked for an hour. Boom – kick ass side dish done.
At my house, this is right up there with the green bean casserole and stuffing as a must-have. Man …. I can’t wait to eat Thanksgiving dinner! Mom’s giblet stuffing…. homemade gravy….. deep fried turkey…… aaaand my stomach just growled.
But seriously, if you are looking for a fun side dish to bring to your holiday dinner (and these Whole Baked Carrots + Roasted Beet Pesto is just too healthy looking) then this is your stop. It covers your sweet potato/yam quota, but is a little different than your typical fare. The mixture of the velvety yams, the sweet/tangy apples and the creamy/sweet sauce – it is holiday perfection.
I hope you all have an amazing Thanksgiving surrounded by those you love and cherish (and good food)!!!!!
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 5 honeycrisp apples, peeled and cut into wedges (about 12 wedges per apple) (really any kind of apple would work, but honeycrisp seem to taste the best)
- 2 large (28oz) canned yams (drained)
- Cinnamon (approximately 3-4 Tablespoons)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In 9×13 casserole pan, layer apples, yams, apple, yams.
- After each layer, sprinkle cinnamon on top.
- Place butter in a small saucepan and heat on low to allow butter to melt.
- Add water, salt, water and sugar; stir to combine and turn heat up to medium high.
- Once water mixture has heated, put cornstarch in a small bowl and add about a Tablespoon or two of water; use spoon to mix (it will turn into a paste) and then quickly add to water mixture.
- Use whisk to break up cornstarch.
- Then use spatula to continually mix up sauce and as it continues to get hotter it will thicken,
- Remove from heat as soon as sauce has thickened.
- Pour sauce evenly over the top.
- Bake for 1 hour, uncovered, at 350.
- Serve immediately.
Keywords: apple yam bake