Enjoy your favorite flavors of hearty beef, plump corn kernels, melty cheese, and heart beans in this easy Taco Soup recipe. Offer all of your favorite taco toppings to let each family member customize their bowl to their liking.
The Best Taco Soup Recipe
This simple taco soup recipe uses real ingredients to yield bursts of flavor in every bite, which is sure to make this a hit with the whole family. And the best part is that this hearty soup comes together in 30 minutes, making it perfect for busy weeknights. Make a big batch and freeze half to give to a loved one or to have on hand when cooking isn’t an option.
What You Will Need
- ground beef – We prefer the 85/25 variety for the best flavor and texture.
- yellow onion – A mild savory onion flavor.
- garlic – Just a bit to add some heat and depth of flavor.
- jalapeno pepper & anaheim pepper – The anaheim pepper brings smokey and sweet while the jalapeño brings the heat!
- taco seasoning – You can pick some up at your local grocery store or try making your own with a few cabinet staples.
- canned black beans – Protein packed, these little guys bring all the texture.
- diced tomatoes – A classic taco ingredient.
- corn – Adds pop of color and juicy bites throughout.
- chicken broth – A classic base that supports all the hearty flavors in this soup.
- lime – We use both the juice and zest to give a subtle citrus flavor throughout.
- salt & ground black pepper – Just a bit to enhance all the flavors.
- oregano – An aromatic herb that adds to the depth of flavor.
- Toppings – sour cream, cilantro, shredded cheese, avocado
How To Make Taco Soup
Start by bringing a large Dutch Oven or large soup pot to medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and move it around the pot until it’s cooked through and drain the excess grease.
Next, add in the onion and garlic and move them around the pan for around 2-3 minutes or until they’ve softened.
Now for some color! Add in the jalapeño, Anaheim pepper, one of the seasoning packets, black beans, tomatoes with green chiles, corn, broth, lime zest, lime juice, salt, pepper and oregano and stir to combine.
Give your flavorful soup a quick taste and decide if you’d like to add any more taco seasoning, lime juice, or salt. Once the soup is to your liking, cover the pot and let it simmer for 10 minutes to ensure the flavors combine.
What To Serve With Taco Soup
The world is your oyster, my friend. Experiment with what you’d typically put on a traditional taco, but if you need a place to start, here are a few of our favorite toppings.
- sour cream – Just a dollop of sour cream adds a nice creaminess that compliments the more acidic flavors.
- greek yogurt – If you’re looking for that same creaminess but with more protein and tang.
- cilantro – A lemony and peppery herb that adds a pop of color and freshness.
- shredded cheese – We used cobly jack, but cheddar cheese would work great too. You really can’t go wrong with cheese.
- avocado – A neutral flavored and creamy topping that’ll add a bit of heartiness.
- tortilla strips or tortilla chips – Adds a bit of crunch and more authentic taco flavors.
- corn chips – A great gluten-free option.
- lime wedges – For those who want a bit more zip in each bite.
- *Taco Seasoning – Since everyone has different taste preferences, start with one package of seasoning, and add more if you think it needs a little bit more flavor. We used 2 packages and loved it.
- Storage – Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. You can also freeze this soup! Just be sure to put it in a freezer-safe container and leave some room on the top for expansion.
- Nutrition – The nutrition information at the bottom of the recipe card does not account for toppings.
Made this easy taco soup recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Taco Soup Recipe – the BEST homemade taco soup recipe that is so easy and delicious! Sure to become a weeknight dinner favorite!
- 1 pound ground beef (85/25)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 jalapano, minced (remove membrane and seeds)
- 1 anaheim pepper, minced
- 1.31oz package taco seasoning (mild)*
- 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 15oz can corn, drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 1/2 lime (more as-desired)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- Toppings: sour cream, cilantro, shredded cheese, avocado
- Bring a large Dutch Oven to medium-high heat. Add ground beef and move around pan until fully cooked. Drain excess grease.
- Add onion and garlic. Move around pan until onion softens, approx. 2-3 minutes.
- Add jalapeno, anaheim pepper, 1 package taco seasoning, black beans, tomatoes with green chiles, corn, broth, lime zest, lime juice, salt, pepper and oregano. Stir to combine.
- Taste and add more taco seasoning if desired + the juice of the other half of lime + any additional salt – as desired. Everyone has different tastes so adjust as needed.
- Cover and let simmer 10 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Serve with your choice of fresh cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream and avocado.
- *Taco Seasoning: everyone has different taste preferences so start with 1 packet of taco seasoning and then add more as-desired. I ended up adding 1 1/2 packages and loved it, but go slow so you make it how you like it! I used Siete brand – mild spice flavor.
- Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 6 oz
- Calories: 127
- Sugar: 2.9 g
- Sodium: 754.4 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 14 g
- Protein: 14.1 g
- Cholesterol: 29.1 mg
Keywords: taco soup, taco soup recipe