Our easy Chicken Fajitas recipe is perfect for those busy weeknights when you want a quick dinner that is also packed with great flavors! Made with juicy chicken, fresh veggies, and all those classic fajita spices. The whole family is going to love adding all their favorite toppings!
The Best Chicken Fajita Recipe
When we are short on time at dinnertime, we reach for this classic Mexican-inspired dish that never disappoints! These skillet chicken fajitas are a one pan dinner that is always a family favorite recipe around our house. Everyone can build their fajitas any way they want or turn them in to a chicken fajita bowl by serving over a bed of rice.
These easy chicken fajitas are also a great option to meal prep at the beginning of the week to make dinners even easier or enjoy as a premade lunch! Time to wake-up those taste buds and make this fajita recipe!
Looking to make an easy fajita recipe with another protein option? Try our Steak Fajitas!!
What You Will Need
- chicken fajita marinade – it is so easy to make this homemade chicken fajita marinade that is written out in the recipe card. So much better than a store-bought version!
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts – option to sub with boneless, skinless chicken thighs, if you want.
- chicken broth – just a splash in the pan to help deglaze all those yummy chicken bits leftover after cooking.
- garlic – everything is always better with a little fresh garlic in the mix.
- red onion & sweet yellow onion – a great combination of onion flavors that are perfect in this main dish.
- fresh bell peppers – traditional fajita ingredients that are a must!
- chicken fajita seasoning – this simple homemade fajita seasoning is so easy to mix up and store in your pantry.
- kosher salt & ground black pepper – simple seasonings that are always needed when cooking any cut of meat.
- tortillas – the options are endless – homemade flour tortillas, corn tortillas, gluten-free tortillas, etc.
- topping suggestions: fresh guacamole, pico de gallo, sour cream, cilantro lime sauce, corn salsa, fresh cilantro, avocado slices, lime wedges, & cotija cheese.
How To Make Chicken Fajitas
The first steps to making this flavorful chicken fajita recipe is to gather the ingredients for making the marinated chicken.
In a small mixing bowl, place all of the fajita marinade ingredients and whisk them to fully combine. Now grab a kitchen knife and cutting board to cut the chicken breasts into thin strips. Place them in a large bowl or plastic storage bag and pour the marinade on top. Give it a toss and let them marinate for 30 minutes.
Next, remove the chicken tenders from the marinade (letting any excess marinade drip off) and sear them in a large skillet on medium heat for about 8-10 minutes or until their internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F. For best results, try to keep the chicken strips in a single layer.
Carefully remove the chicken from the hot pan and set them aside on a plate. Keep the large skillet hot, add the chicken broth, and scrap the bottom of the pan to deglaze. Now add the garlic, move around the pan to become fragrant, and then add the sweet onions, sweet peppers, and fajita seasoning.
Toss and cook for about 10-15 minutes or until their have reached your personal preference of softness.
Add the chicken and any pan juices back to the fajita veggies in the skillet and toss them all together to serve any way you want!
Best Way To Serve Chicken Fajitas
We love to grab our favorite warm tortillas and start building the perfect chicken fajita! Use a pair of tongs to add a generous amount of fajita chicken, fajita veggies, and then add all the toppings, plus a squeeze of fresh lime juice! And if you are wondering what to serve with chicken fajitas? We have a full list of side dish recipes that are perfect for enjoying with this easy dinner!
- How to marinate and/or season meat for fajitas: we highly recommend marinating your chicken in the homemade marinade, but you could also just toss your chicken in a chicken fajita seasoning. Feel free to use one or the other or both for the most flavor!
- Slow cooker: using your crockpot is a great way to make your dinner even easier. Just check out our slow cooker chicken fajitas recipe!
- Meal prep: the marinade and/or seasoning can easily be made ahead of time, but you could also cook the chicken and veggies, store in separate airtight containers in the fridge, and enjoy throughout the week!
- Chicken fajita bowl: serve this chicken fajita mixture on a bed of rice for another great way to enjoy this flavorful main course.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Chicken Fajitas – delicious and flavorful chicken fajita recipe with marinade and optional creamy cilantro lime sauce! The BEST chicken fajitas!
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika (smoked paprika, if you can find it)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (smoked garlic powder, if you can find it)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1–2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3–4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- (optional) 1-2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chicken tenders
- 2–3 tablespoons chicken broth, more if needed
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 3 bell peppers (red, green, orange), sliced
- 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning
- additional kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Other Fajita Toppings and Serving Suggestions:
- Prepare Chicken: Season chicken lightly with salt and pepper – pressing the salt and pepper into the meat. Place chicken in a large reusable silicone bag or glass baking dish and set aside.
- Marinate Chicken: Add chili powder, kosher salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, oregano, pepper, lime juice, olive oil, and fresh cilantro (if using) to a small mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined. Pour the marinade over the chicken, ensuring it is fully coated. Seal and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or more.
- Cook Chicken: Bring a large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Add a oil, swirl to coat the pan. Remove chicken from marinade letting excess marinade drip off; discard leftover marinade. Place chicken in the pan and sear 8-10 minutes or until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken reaches 160 degrees F. (use an internal meat thermometer for accuracy) – during the cooking process turn down the heat, as-needed, if your skillet really gets hot and/or add a little extra oil if the pan is dry – to avoid burning. Squeeze fresh lime juice over chicken and stir. Remove from skillet and let the chicken rest on a plate while you cook the veggies.
- Cook Veggies: Keeping pan at medium high heat, add 2-3 tablespoons of chicken broth to deglaze the pan – use a spatula to scrape up the bits from the bottom of the pan. Add garlic and move around pan until it becomes fragrant, approx. 1 minute. Add onion, bell peppers, and the fajita seasoning. Stir to combine. Add additional broth or olive oil to pan if you feel it is getting a bit dry.
- Finish Veggies: Sauté for approx. 10-15 minutes or until the peppers have reached your desired doneness (cook shorter for a more firm, but tender pepper – longer for a softer pepper). Taste and add any additional salt or pepper, to taste.
- Add Chicken: Return the chicken back to the skillet, along with any juices that have gathered. Stir to combine. Taste and add any additional fresh lime juice, fresh cilantro or salt – as needed.
- Serve: Serve on warm tortillas with the fajita veggies, cilantro lime sauce, corn salsa and any other toppings you desire!
- Chicken Options: if you don’t want to use chicken breast – chicken thighs could also be used.
- Storage: place in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. We recommend storing the meat, veggies, sauce, salsa, etc., each in a separate container to make reheating easier the next day and to prevent sogginess.
- Next Level: we HAVE to give a shout out to this Cilantro Lime Sauce – it is just what you need to take a classic Chicken Fajita Recipe and bring it to the next level. We use it on our Steak Fajitas and everyone LOVES it!
- Serving Size: 6oz
- Calories: 176
- Sugar: 3.1 g
- Sodium: 379.6 mg
- Fat: 6.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.3 g
- Protein: 12.7 g
- Cholesterol: 33.2 mg
Keywords: chicken fajitas, chicken fajita recipe