Seared Scallop Salad + Grapefruit and Avocado is a simple, quick meal that is light and healthy!
Just look at this salad you guys. Don’t you want to just grab a fork and go to town? Cause that is what I want to do. (BTW – who knew scallops were good in salads?!). This salad is clean, simple and so healthy – not to mention flavorful. So, basically it has it all. It is the Tom Brady of salads (hey it’s not fair that someone gets to be that good-looking and that athletic … it’s just not).
If you haven’t noticed, I am on a scallop and grapefruit kick – although this is the first time I have combined them into one dish. Just a couple of days ago I posted my recipe for Caramelized Grapefruit + Basil and Honey and a few days before that it was Brown-Buttered Scallops. So, honestly, this recipe is a product of leftover scallops and grapefruit from those two posts. I swear, a lot of the time my unplanned posts end up being both my favorite and everyone else’s….. But what’s not love here.
My favorite thing about this salad, if I have to pick one, is the flavor/texture combination. The creamy avocado with the buttery scallop and then the tart/sweet grapefruit with a bit of green onion – dash a little salt on top and drizzle with olive oil. It is just perfection for me.
I hope you guys like it too! Give me a shout if you try it – it is so much fun to hear when people try out recipes!
(a quick shout out to my two and a half year old who graciously helped pour the olive oil for this shot…… what a rockstar)
I hope you guys have an awesome weekend and get a chance to spend some time doing what you love most!
- 1 cup mixed greens (or spinach or kale - whatever you prefer)
- 4 large sea scallops
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ½ grapefruit, sectioned
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 1 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- olive oil
- Remove scallops from packaging and pat dry with paper towel or clean dish towel; Ensure they are very dry before cooking.
- In shallow bowl, add mixed greens and have the remainder of your ingredients prepped and on hand.
- in skillet, add 2-3 Tablespoons of olive oil and bring to medium heat.
- Sprinkle scallops with salt.
- Place scallops in skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Add additional olive oil if pan starts to get dry.
- While scallops are cooking, place avocado, grapefruit and onions in your bowl.
- As soon scallops are done, place on top of salad.
- Sprinkle salad with a little bit of salt and use as much or as little olive oil as you would like for your dressing.
- Serve immediately.
Like the photography board? Check out our Etsy Store and take one home with you!