This quick and easy Avocado Roll is a great way to enjoy sushi without any of the raw fish. Avocado sushi rolls are perfect for vegans, vegetarians, or if you are just looking for a light and refreshing sushi roll. This type of sushi would make a great light lunch, dinner, or addition to a sushi party with friends!
The Best Avocado Roll
Everyone in our family are big sushi fans! So much so, that we have learned how to quickly make sushi right at home (these California Rolls are also a favorite!). These veggie sushi rolls are the best avocado sushi roll recipe that we have tasted. Sushi chefs have spent years perfecting the art of making sushi and, let’s be honest, you and me aren’t at that level BUT sometimes it is so fun to make your own at home! Even the kids love it!
We have been rolling our own sushi for over a decade and we are excited to share our learnings with you. Just a note that this is clearly an Americanized version of traditional Japanese sushi-making and if you want to truly enjoy the authentic version head out and find yourself a talented sushi chef at local sushi restaurants!
What Is An Avocado Roll Made Of
- sushi rice – you can either make perfectly cooked sushi white rice on the stovetop or in your Instant Pot. Option to use white rice or brown rice.
- nori seaweed sheets – these seaweed sheets can be found at most grocery stores or your local asian grocery store.
- slices of avocado, carrots, & cucumber – fresh ingredients that were used for the filling!
- fresh cilantro leaves – a fresh herb that brings so much flavor to this simple sushi roll.
- optional serving suggestions: soy sauce, sesame seeds, wasabi mayo, and/or spicy mayo – feel free to use to dip in some soy sauce or drizzled on some flavored mayo for an extra kick.
History Of Sushi
Want to dig a little more into the history of sushi – here is a great article!
How To Make An Avocado Roll
The first steps to making this easy sushi recipe, are to make a large batch of fluffy short-grain rice. Make sure you fold in the rice vinegar mixture with a rice paddle before making your rolls. Option to place a damp kitchen towel over the dish of rice to keep it from drying out in between rolls.
Now get a bamboo sushi mat and place the sheet of nori on top, shiny side down, rough side up. Use a spoon to spread an even layer of sticky rice on top, leaving an inch at the top of the sheet empty. Add the filling ingredients (in small strips) to the end closest to you. With clean hands, lift the bottom of the nori sheet up over the filling ingredients.
Use the bamboo sheet to start rolling up the sushi roll – try to keep this process as tight as possible without squeezing too tight and the filling starts coming out. Make sure you pull the bamboo sheet out slightly as you go so that it doesn’t get rolled up inside the sushi roll.
Keep this tuck & pull process going until the entire sushi roll has been rolled up, nice and tight.
Use a sharp, serrated knife to cut it into bite-sized pieces on a cutting board.
Pro tip: keep a little water nearby (preferably with warm water) to dip your knife into to help keep it clean – this will help making clean cuts.
Enjoy any way you want!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Avocado Roll Sushi – a delicious avocado roll recipe that is made with real, simple ingredients and easily made at home!
- 2 1/2 cups cooked sushi rice
- 4 nori sheets
- 1–2 avocados, sliced
- 1–2 carrots, julienned
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- (optional) spicy mayo
- serving: soy sauce or tamari
- Sushi Rice Recipe: Prepare sushi rice and let cool to room temp – cover with damp towel – while you prepare fillings and spicy salmon.
- Filling ingredients: Use a sharp knife to prepare all of the filling ingredients.
- Sushi Roll: place a bamboo sheet down and then put your nori sheet on top (shiny side up).
- Using the back of a spoon, spread approx. 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons of sushi rice across the nori sheet leaving the top inch or so empty. The rice should be pretty flattened.
- Place the filling ingredients in the middle of the nori sheet. Don’t go too crazy with the filling or it will end up popping out the ends if it is too full.
- Using both hands, pick up the edges of the nori sheet closest to you and fold over the filling ingredients; tucking the nori sheet around the ingredients. Pick up the bamboo sheet and fold over as well (but don’t tuck all the way around).
- While pressing firmly down on the sushi roll, pull the bamboo sheet away from your body and rolling the sushi. Then stop and wrap your hands around the roll pressing down firmly to create a solid roll. Pull away from your body again with the bamboo sheet then stop again and press down. Continue doing this until you have a fully formed sushi roll.
- Using a very sharp knife, cut the roll into 1 inch thick pieces.
- Create 3 more rolls using the same technique – see notes below for instructions on an Inside Out Roll (where the rice is on the outside of the roll instead of on the inside).
- (optional) Top with a dollop or drizzle of spicy mayo to add some extra flavor.
- Serve with soy sauce and wasabi (optional).
- Inside Out Roll: Place a bamboo sheet down and place a piece of parchment paper on top. Place nori sheet on top of the parchment, shiny side down. Cover with rice leaving the top inch empty. Place your ingredients towards the center of the nori sheet. Lift up the edge of the nori sheet closest to you and tuck around ingredients. Lift up the bamboo mat and fold over as well. Start pulling the bamboo and parchment paper away from your body as the nori sheet rolls around the ingredients. Then stop and apply gentle pressure to create a roll. Continue pulling/rolling with the bamboo mat and then apply pressure until you have a fully formed sushi roll. Cut into 1 inch pieces with a very sharp knife.
- Instant Pot Sushi Rice: we also have an easy tutorial on how to make sushi rice right in your Instant Pot. It’s super quick and easy!
Keywords: avocado roll