These simple Cod Cakes are perfect for an easy appetizer or serve with a side salad to make it a complete meal. They have a crisp outside with a perfectly light and flavorful inside. A great option for those warm summer nights!
The Best Cod Fish Cakes
A savory and delicious weeknight meal! I know sometimes cod can get a bad wrap – but you guys, the right kind of cod, cooked the right way ….. SO good! I would highly recommend you buy the best and most fresh cod you can for this recipe – and it will be so worth it! This recipe is the Whole30 version of our favorite crab cake recipe! I have always been a fan of crab cakes and salmon cakes and I just wanted to see if I could make something just as delicious with Cod. I have tested and double-tested this recipe for you guys and it is awesome!
Looking for something a bit more family-friendly? These Fish Nuggets are also made with cod and are delicious!
What You Will Need
- fresh cod – any cod will work, but we definitely recommend getting the most high quality cod that you can. It will make all the difference!
- ghee – needed in the skillet for the perfect sear.
- egg & almond flour – the binding agents that hold everything together!
- celery & green onions – a great way to add a little green color with a bit of a crunch.
- kosher salt, ground black pepper, & old bay seasoning – simple seasonings that are a nice compliment to the natural cod flavors.
- fresh dill – traditional fresh herb that has lots of refreshing flavor!
- lemon juice – always a must when preparing fish.
Can I Prepare Cod Cakes Ahead Of Time
Absolutely! You can mix up all the ingredients (except the ghee), form them into cake patties, cover, and store in the fridge for 1-2 days before cooking. Perfect for having an appetizer that can be ready to eat in minutes!
How To Make Cod Cakes
This is a simple process that begins with breaking up the high quality cod fillets. Then place the broken fish fillets in a medium bowl with the rest of the ingredients (except the ghee) and mix to fully combine. Place this mixture in the freezer for 15-20 minutes and then form into cakes and place on a plate. Bring a large cast iron skillet to medium high heat, add the ghee, and then cook the cod cakes for about 4-5 minutes on each side.
How To Serve Cod Cakes
If you are looking to round out these perfectly pan-seared cod cakes into a complete meal you can serve them with a simple side salad, some fresh lemon wedges, and a homemade tartar sauce, cilantro lime crema, or dill sauce! These would make a great option for a date night in!
Storing Cod Fish Cakes
- leftovers: if you have any cooked cod cakes leftover, they can be placed in an airtight container in the refrigerator and stored for 3-4 days.
- freezing: to keep these cod cakes for longer you can form the cakes, place them in a single layer on a baking sheet, and put it in the freezer. Once they have fully frozen you can transfer them to a freezer-safe container and store for 1-2 months. Thaw in the fridge the night before you want to cook and serve.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Cod Cakes – A quick and easy recipe for a delicious appetizer or weeknight dinner!
- 1.5 pounds fresh cod fillets (as high quality as possible)
- 2–4 tablespoons ghee
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 sliced celery
- 1/4 cup green onion
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoon old bay seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, tightly packed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Prep cod: place cod into food processor and pulse a few times until broken up (don’t pulse too many times, you still want it pretty chunky)
- Mix: Place cod into medium mixing bowl and add the remaining ingredients (except for the ghee).
- Freeze: Place mixture in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Form: Remove, form into cod cakes, and place on plate.
- Cook: Heat cast iron skillet to medium high heat, add 2 tablespoons of ghee to melt, place cod cakes in the pan, and reduce heat to medium. Cover and let cook for approximately 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Serve immediately and garnish with fresh dill and serve with homemade Whole30 tartar sauce.
Keywords: cod cakes