Oven Baked Tilapia – an easy, straightforward and delicious recipe that teaches you how to bake tilapia fillets in the oven! They taste SO GOOD and tender and delicious. Perfect for fish tacos!
Easy Oven Baked Tilapia Recipe
This is one of those recipes that is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner – it is beyond simple and really quick. You can serve it as-is with a little melted butter and fresh parsley on top (maybe a lemon slices and broccoli on the side) OR you can make Fish Tacos or Fish Taco Bowls!
Why You Will LOVE Baking Tilapia in the Oven
- Fast & easy – a quick drizzle of olive oil, sprinkle of salt & pepper, & 25 minutes in the oven – doesn’t get much easier than that!
- Family-friendly – nothing better than an easy weeknight option that I know the whole family will eat! Gluten-free and packed with omega-3 fatty acids.
- Options – you can do so many things with baked tilapia – eat it by itself with sides, in tacos, in a rice bowl, get creative and let us know how you like it!
What You Will Need
- Tilapia fillets – a mild-flavored, freshwater white fish that has some great health benefits! This healthy fish is similar to a halibut or even cod, but a little thinner and possibly even more mild-flavored.
- Olive oil – keeps the fish moist and gives some nice browning on the outside.
- Salt & pepper – a dash of seasoning for flavor!
How Long Does It Take To Bake Fish At 375 Degrees
For best results, you will want to bake your fish fillets for about 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees. The time will vary depending on how think your fillets are but they are done once they can easily be broken apart with a fork.
Do I Have To Use Parchment Paper
No, we like to use recycled parchment paper to make the cleanup easier but this isn’t necessary. You could just spray the pan generously with cooking spray or use aluminum foil.
Best Way to Season Baked Tilapia
We kept this simple with salt & pepper but you could also use creole seasoning, lemon pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, paprika, onion powder, cayenne pepper, etc.! Tilapia doesn’t have a super strong flavor on its own so get creative with the different spice mixes you.
What Should I Serve With Baked Tilapia
The side dish options are really endless! A few that we love to make a healthy dinner are Steamed Green Beans, Herbed Potatoes, rice pilaf, brussels sprouts, or cauliflower rice! These options are also super quick and easy recipes. We also recommend serving it with some lemon wedges so you can squeeze fresh lemon juice on top of the fish.
Can I Use Baked Tilapia In Fish Tacos
Absolutely!!! Honestly, this is probably our favorite way to eat baked tilapia! You have to checkout our Easy Tilapia Fish Taco post. There are so many different toppings you could use for these or let the whole family get creative with different combinations. These would also pair really well with a side of homemade guacamole and a mango margarita!
How To Make Oven Baked Tilapia
Pat tilapia fillets dry, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
Enjoy by themselves.
OR enjoy as fish tacos!
Recipe FAQs and Tips
- Parchment paper: we love to use recycled parchment paper to make cleanup a breeze but feel free to use aluminum foil or generously spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Seasoning: we kept this one simple with salt & pepper but you can use any seasoning that sounds good to you! Creole seasoning would be great too!
- Leftovers: you can keep leftover baked tilapia in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Serving suggestion: a great way to serve these would be with a steamed vegetable, like steamed green beans, and herbed potatoes or as a fish taco. Either way you can’t go wrong!
- Tortillas for Fish Tacos: Any tortillas would work (flour, corn, gf, etc.) – personally we really love these if you are looking for a recommendation!
Other Fish Recipes You Might Like
Smoked Salmon Salad
Grilled Red Snapper
Fresh Lemon Butter Scallops
Simple Weeknight Salmon
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
Oven Baked Tilapia
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Fish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Oven Baked Tilapia – an easy, straightforward and delicious recipe that teaches you how to bake tilapia fillets in the oven!
- 4 fresh tilapia fillets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place tilapia fillets on a parchment-lined baking sheet or baking dish.
- Pat tilapia filets dry with a clean paper towel.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil, rubbing it all over the fillets.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper (feel free add other seasonings as well – creole seasoning works great!).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Serve immediately. We love these with some steamed green beans and herbed potatoes OR you can use the tilapia to make fish tacos!
- Storage: store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Internal temperature: tilapia is fully cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees F. at the thickest part of the fillet (use a meat thermometer to track the temp).
- Serving Size: 6oz
- Calories: 142
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 215.3 mg
- Fat: 5.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 0.1 g
- Protein: 23.3 g
- Cholesterol: 58 mg
Keywords: oven baked tilapia
Turned out perfectly!