These perfectly Crispy Shallots make the most amazing topping for all of your favorite salads, burgers, sandwiches, pizzas, pretty much anything! You will only need 2 real, simple ingredients and about 15 minutes bring any of your favorite recipes to the next level!
The Best Crispy Shallots
If you have never made homemade crispy shallots before, now is the time! It is so quick and easy to make them and bring all those summer salads, grilled burgers, and pizzas to a whole new level. They add the perfect amount of crunch and mild onion flavor that is just so good! We especially love to use this crispy fried shallot recipe on top of our simple Green Goddess salad recipe. It is our favorite way to enjoy them!
What You Will Need
- whole shallots – you should be able to find shallots in the produce section at your local grocery store.
- olive oil – option to use this or avocado oil or another neutral oil to give your shallot slices a perfect golden brown fry!
Now bring a large cast iron skillet to a medium-high heat and pour in enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
To the hot oil, add the shallot slices. Try to spread them out in to a single layer and separate some in to individual rings.
As they begin to cook you can drop the heat to a medium-low heat and carefully use tongs to toss the shallot slices.
Continue cooking until they become crisp and golden brown. You can start by checking on them in 2-minute increments and then when they are close to being done you can switch to 30-second increments.
Then remove the shallot rings from the pan with a slotted spoon and place on layers of paper towels on a plate.
Serve any way you want!
Best Ways To Serve Crispy Shallots
These delicious shallots are perfect for tossing on a fresh salad recipe, like our Green Goddess Salad (shown here). Or you can add them on top of a bowl of creamy soup, a grilled chicken sandwich, noodle dishes, or use it when making your favorite pizza! Another option would be to use them on top of a green bean casserole in place of the french fried onions. They can really be used in just about anything!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Crispy Shallots – an easy crispy shallots recipe that is the perfect topping for your favorite salad, burger or pizza!
- 3–4 small/medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Bring cast iron skillet to medium heat. Drizzle in 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add sliced shallots and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and let shallots cook until they turn brown, approx. 3-5 minutes frying time.
- Use slotted spatula to remove and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Use on your favorite salad, sandwich or pizza (we like them on this Green Goddess Salad)!
- Oil: feel free to use avocado oil if you prefer – add more oil to the pan if needed!
- Batches: option to cook them in a big batch or smaller batches. Just make sure you add more oil to the pan in between cooking these batches.
- Storage: while these are best used right away for maximum crispiness, you can store them for later use in an airtight container on the counter for up to 3-4 days.
Keywords: crispy shallots