You are going to love this quick tutorial on how to make easy and crispy Fried Onion Strings! We love to toss them on burgers, sandwiches, and salads. An easy topping that will really level up your meal!
Crispy Homemade Fried Onion Strings
All summer (or as much of the year as possible) we have the grill cooking up ALL of our favorite burgers – turkey burgers, chicken burgers, and the Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger with all of the best toppings including these easy fried onion strings! They are a topping that adds a really great crunch. And if you aren’t a burger on a bun kind of person, they are just as good tossed on top of an Easy Grilled Chicken Salad or on a BBQ Chicken Sandwich!
What You Will Need
- sweet yellow onions – it is helpful to use a mandolin to slice them nice and thin.
- unsweetened almond milk – we tested this recipe with both almond milk and regular milk – both worked great!
- flour – option to use all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour.
- kosher salt, onion powder, & garlic powder – a spice combination that gives these onion straws the perfect little seasoning!
- avocado oil – this is the oil we used to test them, but other oils would probably do the same job.
How Do You Cut Onions For Onion Strings
You can choose to simply cut them thinly with a sharp knife, but we love the consistency that a mandolin provides. If you have one, you would agree that it’s kinda life-changing! You can perfectly slice an onion, at a consistent thickness, in a matter of minutes.
How To Make Fried Onion Strings
Begin by thinly slicing your onions with a sharp knife or mandolin.
Then mix up your flour/spice mixture in one bowl and put your milk in another bowl.
Place the onion slices in the milk bowl and let them sit for 15-30 minutes.
Then shake off the excess liquid and place them in the flour/spice mixture.
Next, carefully place them in avocado oil in a cast iron skillet that has reached a temp of 375 degrees F.
Once they are golden brown you can remove them from the pan to cool and enjoy!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Fried Onion Strings – a simple, step-by-step tutorial on how to make homemade fried onion strings! Perfect on salads or burgers!
- 1 large sweet yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or regular milk*
- 1 cups flour (regular or gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- avocado oil**
- kosher salt
- Use mandolin to thinly slice onions.
- Prep two bowls: one with almond milk* and one with the flour, salt, onion powder and garlic powder. Add onions to the milk and let sit 15-30 minutes.
- Add enough avocado oil to a large cast iron skillet so it is approx. 1/2 inch or so deep. You just need enough to submerge the thinly sliced onion so it doesn’t need to be super deep.
- Bring oil to 375 degrees F.
- In batches, take some sliced onions out of the milk (shake off any excess liquid) and place in flour mixture. Ensure they are fully coated with flour and then carefully transfer to the hot oil.
- Let onions cook (flipping as necessary) until they are nice and brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove carefully and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Use in your favorite recipes – we love these on our Ultimate Grilled Bacon Cheeseburgers!
- Slicing Onions: we used a mandolin to get nice, uniform slices that were super thin.
- *Milk: we have tested this recipe with regular milk and almond milk – both worked just fine!
- **Avocado Oil: we only tested this with avocado oil, but it would most likely work with other oils as well!
- Make ahead: these are really best served immediately so I wouldn’t recommend making these more than an hour or two ahead of when you will be using them.
Keywords: fried onion strings