Simple Homemade Whole30 Breakfast Sausage – perfect for Sunday brunch or your weekly meal-prep!
This is going to become your go-to breakfast sausage recipe!
So one of my goals this round of Whole30 was to focus on my breakfast. Admittedly, my past 2 rounds of Whole30 I have relied too heavily upon our friend, the Rx bar. I am just NOT a breakfast person. I am just not a morning person. I have always been, and probably always will be, a night-owl. (note: I will say however that I do notice that when I am doing/eating Whole30 it is easier to get out of bed in the morning, still hate it, but it is easier). Part of the reason I developed acid reflux and “gut issues” I contribute, in part, to my poor morning habits. I used to drink 2-3 cup of coffee, with like…. way too much sugar, and then not eat until lunch. I have gotten better and better at changing these habits. When I finally had to take medication for my heartburn/acid-reflux a year and a half ago, I knew I needed to make a change. So, for the past year, I have tried my very best to always eat something before or, at a minimum, with my coffee. I also switched to homemade cold brew coffee!
But again, I still wasn’t eating very much in the morning. A hard-boiled egg one day. A Rx bar the next. Simply not enough.
So, I have put in the time to make breakfast ahead of time and bring it to work with me – these little sausages are BIG part of that. I make them in large batches and store them in the fridge and then take a couple to work every morning, along with whatever else I am eating. I toss them in the microwave at work and – boom – breakfast is ready.
Not surprisingly, I feel SO much better when I eat a solid breakfast. And I am not starving when I get home for lunch. I feel like my whole appetite is more stable the entire day.
Don’t get me wrong though, these guys are good for more than just meal prep! I love making them for our girls, because I love knowing exactly what is in them. It is all good-for-you ingredients! …. and they love them ?
A quick note about the recipe, it calls for Primal Palate Meat & Potatoes Seasoning – this isn’t a sponsored post, I just really, really like their product and it is what I wanted to put in my sausages ?But if you don’t have it on hand, I have given a substitute!
I hope you guys had an awesome week!
- 1 lb. ground pork sausage (check your labels)
- 1 Tablespoon whole fennel seed
- 1 Teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ Tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Primal Palate Meat and Potatoes Seasoning
- (if you don't have primal palate then sub ½ Tablespoon dried oregano, ½ Tablespoon garlic powder, ½ Tablespoon onion powder, ½ Tablespoon paprika)
- Place fennel seeds in small skillet and gently cook on medium heat for approximately 3-5 minutes, stirring fairly constantly.
- Combine all ingredients in medium mixing bowl.
- Thoroughly combine.
- Make a large meatball in your hands (about 2 Tablespoons) and then gently flatten and round out to make a small pattie.
- Place in large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Cook approximately 3 minutes per side, or until fully cooked.
- Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper while cooking.
- Serve immediately or place in airtight container and store for up to 5-6 days in the refrigerator.
This post contains sponsored links. Thank you for supporting The Wooden Skillet!