Crockpot BBQ Chicken – a simple, delicious recipe for slow cooker bbq chicken that is great for meal prep and easy dinners!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Set it and forget it – this crockpot barbecue chicken is just that! Simply pop it in the crockpot in the morning and it will be ready by dinner time.
- Simple – you only need 2 ingredients and 5 minutes to prep this delicious meal!
- Meal prep – this is so easy that it is perfect for meal prep for the week!
What You Will Need
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- BBQ sauce – feel free to grab your favorite! Any BBQ sauce will work! Checkout this great list of the best bbq sauces – so many great options!
Recipe FAQs and Tips
- BBQ Sauce: you can use any of your favorite BBQ sauces – we love this one or this one!
- Paleo/Whole30: if you want to keep this recipe paleo/Whole30 we highly recommend this BBQ sauce! So good!
- Chicken breasts vs. thighs: you can use either one! We used chicken breasts for this recipe but either would work.
- Crockpot on high vs. low: we recommend cooking the chicken on low if you have time, it stays more moist that way, but if you don’t have time the high setting works too.
- Leftovers: once your bbq chicken has been cooked you can keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Utilizing Your Freezer
- Can I put frozen chicken in the crockpot? You can! The end result might be a bit more watery and you will have to adjust your cook time to make sure that your chicken reaches an internal temp of 165 degrees, but you can definitely do it.
- Can I freeze BBQ chicken before cooking? Yes! You can put your chicken and bbq sauce in a large ziplock bag and place in a freezer for up to 3 months.
- Can I freeze BBQ chicken after cooking? Yes! Once the cooked bbq chicken has cooled you can put it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to Serve Crock Pot BBQ Chicken
There are SO many ways! It is so versatile! You can make it a sandwich on a bun, put it in a taco, in a wrap, on a salad, or just plain on a plate with some coleslaw. Get creative and share with us your favorite way to eat BBQ chicken!
How to Make Crock Pot BBQ Chicken
Step 1 – Place chicken breasts in your crock pot.
Step 2 – Add 1 cup BBQ sauce.
Step 3 – Shred and add the rest of the BBQ sauce.
Step 4 – Enjoy!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Crock Pot BBQ Chicken – an easy, go-to recipe for easy weeknights. Serve in tacos, as a sandwich or just eat plain with some coleslaw!
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cup bbq sauce, divided
- Place chicken breasts in crock pot.
- Pour 1 cup bbq sauce over top.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8 hours.
- Once chicken is done cooking, shred with two forks. The sauce will be thinned out due to the heat, but as it cools and you mix the shredded chicken around it will thicken back up.
- Add the additional 1/2 cup bbq sauce (or more if you want); stir to combine.
- Serve and enjoy!
- BBQ Sauces: You can use any of your favorite BBQ sauces – we love this one or this one!
- Paleo/Whole30: If you are concerned with Paleo/Whole30 we recommend this BBQ sauce – so good!
- Serving Suggestions: There are SO many ways! It is so versatile! You can make it a sandwich on a bun, put it in a taco, in a wrap, on a salad, or just plain on a plate with some coleslaw.
- Storage: leftover BBQ chicken can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Keywords: slow cooker bbq chicken, crock pot bbq chicken