Gluten Free Cornbread Muffins – a simple and delicious gluten-free cornbread muffin that is perfect for chili or the holidays!
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon xanthum gum
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 eggs
- Preheat: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Dairy-Free “Buttermilk”: Combine unsweetened almond milk and lemon juice in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Dry Ingredients: In medium mixing bowl combine dry ingredients: cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthum gum, coconut sugar and salt.
- Wet Ingredients: In a medium mixing bowl combine wet ingredients: melted butter, honey, eggs and the almond milk mixture. Whisk to combine.
- Combine: Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Prepare Muffin Tin: Spray muffin tin with olive oil (or use muffin liners). Fill each muffin approximately 3/4 the way full.
- Bake: Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool: Let cool in the muffin tin about 10 minutes and then remove and let finish cooling.
- Prep Ahead of Time – Once they have cooled you can keep them in an airtight container for about 2 days at room temperature and up to a week in the fridge.
- Freezer – After they have cooled completely you can place them in a freezer bag, press out as much air as you can, and you can keep them in the freezer for 2-3 months.
- Serving suggestion – We highly recommend making them with chili! We don’t make chili without them! This one is our fav!! They also make a great Thanksgiving side dish.
- Toppings – they are so yummy that you could eat them by themselves but if you want to bring them to the next level – cut them in half and add a little honey, ghee, or butter on top!!
- Butter – Yes! If butter isn’t an issue for you, then go ahead and use it!
- Almond Milk alternative – You should be able to use any dairy-free milk.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 168
- Sugar: 9.8 g
- Sodium: 227.9 mg
- Fat: 5.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 28.2 g
- Protein: 2.8 g
- Cholesterol: 31 mg
Keywords: gluten free cornbread muffins