Gyro Bowls are going to become your new favorite weeknight recipe! Perfectly cooked, flavorful lamb meatballs paired with an insane homemade Tzatziki Sauce (that’s paleo/dairy-free) make the perfect pair!
THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY:
This post is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill, the opinions are my own.
Easy Gyro Bowls
Who isn’t a fan of a delicious gyro! I know they are my go-to anytime we go a county fair – I absolutely love the flavor combination. We have used our ever-popular Homemade Tzatziki Sauce and created a delicious Lamb Meatball to go with it. Toss those in a bowl with the sauce and your other classic gyro toppings and you are good to go! Feel free to make a quick batch of Quick-Pickled Onions to really take this one to the next level!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Easy: Make some meatballs and cut up some veggies and you have yourself a meal! Pro-tip: make that tzatziki sauce ahead of time!
- Light: this meal is filling, yet delightfully light at the same time – really a great meal any time of year!
- Whole30/paleo-friendly: I love that this is Whole30/Paleo (just skip the naan/brown rice) – so filling and delicious!
What You Will Need
- Ground Lamb, Egg, Mint, Almond Flour and other seasonings: see the recipe card for the full list of ingredients!
- Tzatziki Sauce: we love our homemade version, but feel free to use store-bought if that is what works best for you!
- cucumbers: love the crunch these add!
- tomatoes: you can really use any kind of tomato that you want!
- Pickled Onions or raw red onions: our Quick-Pickled Onions are so delicious, but you can use any kind of onion you want!
- lemon: this is a nice garnish and adds that bit of tang, but you can skip if you want.
- (optional) Naan, pita bread or brown rice for serving (omit if Whole30/Paleo): if you are Whole30/Paleo then omit the naan, pita or brown rice – but if that isn’t an issue for you (or maybe for a family member) then feel free to add this in!
How to Make Gyro Bowls
Step One: Add your lamb meatball ingredients to a medium mixing bowl and combine.
Step Two: Once combined, take 1 tablespoon at a time (I used a cookie dough scoop) and roll into a bowl between your hands.
Step Three: cook meatballs in a cast iron skillet (or in the oven).
Step Four: Make some Homemade Tzatziki Sauce (or you can use store-bought).
Step Five: Add meatballs to a bowl along with some cucumbers, tomatoes and pickled onions – garnish with some lemon chunks if you want!
If you (or someone else in your family) isn’t concerned with Whole30/paleo they can serve with naan or a pita.
You can also serve it with brown rice too – although not paleo/Whole30!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Gyro Bowls – a seriously delicious recipe for gyro bowls that is healthy and easy to make! Perfect for meal prep!
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup fine almond flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 batch Tzatziki Sauce
- 3 cups cucumbers, sliced or quartered
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup Pickled Onions or raw red onions
- 1 lemon, cut into chunks
- (optional) Naan, pita bread or brown rice for serving (omit if Whole30/Paleo)
- Make a batch of Homemade Tzatziki Sauce (or use store-bought if you want). Set aside.
- Combine Lamb Meatball ingredients in a medium mixing bowl; mix.
- Taking one tablespoon of lamb mixture at a time, create meatballs with your hand or a small dough scoop. Place on a plate.
- Bring large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Add approximately a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan; swirl to coat.
- Sear the meatballs on all sides.
- Turn heat down to medium/medium-low and continue cooking unit internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F (about 15 minutes).
- Remove from skillet and divide between 4 bowls as well as the cucumber and tomatoes.
- If not Whole30/Paleo add Naan, pita bread or cooked brown rice to the bowl.
- Garnish with lemon chunks and pickled onions (or raw red onions).
- Serve with as much Homemade Tzatziki as you wish!
- Oven Baked Meatballs: to make the lamb meatballs in the oven simply place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake (middle rack) at 435 degrees F. for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Tomatoes: in the photo I used both whole, regular tomatoes and a few cherry tomatoes – use either or both – whatever works best for you!
- Pickled Onions: if you don’t want to use/make pickled onions you can just add a little raw red onion or yellow onion.
- Flexibility: of course add more/less of the tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. as you want!
Keywords: gyro bowls