Orange Chicken Meatballs are a new family favorite around here! These perfectly seared meatballs are packed with classic flavors like garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, and a little orange zest to compliment the bright citrus flavor of that amazing sauce!
Quick & Easy Orange Chicken Meatballs
These meatballs have all the classic flavors of orange chicken take-out but are Whole30/Paleo compliant and can be made in 30 minutes in your own kitchen. We love serving it with some grilled broccoli and cauliflower rice! And if you are really a fanatic of Chinese food, like us, you also have to try our Beef & Broccoli or our Cashew Chicken Stir Fry. So good and perfect for easy weeknight dinners!
Why You Will Love This Recipe:
- Kid-Friendly: My kids are a huge fan of this recipe! I mean, who doesn’t love meatballs!
- Flavor: The sauce is INSANE! So much flavor packed in there!
- Leftovers: Trust me, you are going to want to make extras so you have some leftovers waiting for you the next day!
What You Will Need
- ground chicken – love the leanness of ground chicken, but it still doesn’t seem to get too dry. I have made this with ground turkey and it does work as well! I just prefer ground chicken.
- egg: this helps bind everything together as it cooks.
- almond flour: this also acts as a binder.
- onion powder, garlic powder, kosher salt, & ground black pepper: the perfect combination of spices that bring great flavor to these chicken meatballs.
- orange zest: this helps bring some of that natural orange flavor right inside the meatball.
- olive oil: this is used to help coat the pan before searing the meatballs.
How to Make Orange Chicken Meatballs
You can begin by combining your sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and let it simmer on medium high heat.
Next, combine your meatball ingredients in a mixing bowl and form into meatballs. Pro tip: use a cookie scoop to easily make uniform-shaped meatballs. Sear meatballs on all sides and then continue cooking until fully cooked.
Remove the meatballs and add the sauce to the cast iron skillet. Add tapioca starch and whisk until sauce thickens.
Now you can add the meatballs back to the pan and stir to combine.
Serve and enjoy!
Best Ways To Serve Orange Chicken Meatballs
Our absolute favorite way to serve them is by adding some broccoli florets towards the end of the cooking process and with some cauliflower or jasmine rice. Other great options would be some roasted broccolini or steamed green beans. Just don’t forget a sprinkling of sesame seeds on top!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Other Meatball Recipes You Might Like:
- Easy Teriyaki Meatballs
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Greek Chicken Meatballs
- Meatball Curry
- Baked Italian Meatballs
- Tikka Masala Meatballs
Orange Chicken Meatballs – a flavorful and delicious weeknight dinner option the whole family will love!
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- zest of 1 orange, minced
- olive oil
- 1 1/5 cups orange juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange zest
- 2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoon coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon tapioca starch (added later)
- 2–4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- Cauliflower Rice
- Combine the Sauce ingredients in a small saucepan. Let it simmer while making the meatballs.
- Combine the Meatball ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Use a cookie dough scoop to scoop out approx. 1 1/2 tablespoons of meatball mixture, forming a ball, and place on a large plate. Continue until all of the meatball mixture is used. (See Notes)
- Take large/medium cast iron skillet and bring to medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of oil and use a spatula to spread evenly to coat the pan. Add chicken meatballs and sear on all sides, about 3 minutes.
- Turn down heat to medium and cover. Let cook 10-15 minutes, moving around frequently, until fully cooked (165 internal temperature – I recommend using a meat thermometer).
- Remove the meatballs and set aside.
- In the same skillet you cooked the meatballs, pour in the sauce that has been simmering. Add in the tapioca starch and whisk continually, bringing the sauce to simmer. It will slowly start to thicken.
- Add the meatballs back in and toss to fully coat. Remember the sauce will thicken even more as it cools a little.
- If you are making broccoli to go with this you can add that in at this point, cover the dish and let the broccoli steam for a few minutes (just don’t let the sauce go above a small simmer or it may get gummy). You can also just steam your broccoli separately and then add in to the sauce or serve it on the side.
- Serve immediately.
- Ground Chicken: ground chicken can be very sticky so it helps to have a little bowl of oil next to you when you are making the chicken meatballs. Get a little oil on your fingers and then rub on the inside of the cookie dough scoop before scooping up the meatball mixture.
- Serving: to keep it Whole30/Paleo you can serve it with broccoli and cauliflower rice. If you aren’t concerned with Whole30/Paleo then feel free to serve with regular rice for a gluten-free option!
- Storage: keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Keywords: orange chicken meatballs