This quick and easy House Salad is made with all the best fresh vegetables and a homemade salad dressing that is packed with flavor! Enjoy this easy salad as a main dish or serve as a side dish with your favorite weeknight dinner!
The Best House Salad Recipe
We have made countless summer salads that include all the things, but sometimes we love to enjoy a simple house salad! A traditional house salad has always been our favorite salad to order at a restaurant, like the classic side salad served up at Olive Garden. Any variety of fresh vegetables can be used to make this crisp salad recipe, just make sure you serve with our homemade house salad dressing! It is so simple to make and brings a ton of great flavor that will bring this recipe to the next level!
Looking for another delicious salad recipe? You have to try our Ultimate Green Goddess Salad!!
What You Will Need
- salad dressing – highly recommend our Creamy Italian Dressing, but feel free to pick-up your favorite store-bought salad dressing at your local grocery store.
- mixed greens – we love to use a variety of salad greens. Try crisp romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, butter lettuce, or any other variety of crisp greens.
- grape tomatoes & cucumber – traditional fresh vegetables that will make any salad recipe!
- red onion – a mild onion that is always nice, plus it brings a pop of color.
- parmesan cheese – love this slightly salty flavor mixed into our favorite house salad.
- crunchy croutons – easily make your own homemade croutons or pick up a bag from the store!
If you are making the homemade dressing listed in the recipe card below, you will need to place all the dressing ingredients in a small food processor or high-powered blender. Mix on high for about 1-2 minutes or until everything is fully incorporated.
Place all the fresh salad ingredients in a large serving bowl or separate individual bowls and toss with salad dressing or serve it on this side.
Best Ways To Serve A House Salad
This traditional salad can be enjoyed all by itself as a main dish, with the option to add some protein on top. We love to grill up some chicken breasts or steaks for a quick and easy dinner. Since it makes the perfect side dish, we prefer to serve it alongside our favorite main course. Like, the best Grilled Prime Rib with horseradish sauce and a generous scoop of Rice Pilaf! It is such a versatile dish that you really can serve it with just about anything!
It is easier than it may seem. Pick your favorite leafy greens base, toss on any fresh veggies you love or have on hand, top with shredded cheese, croutons, and a generous pour from your favorite dressing!
We love a mixture of fresh greens, tomatoes, red onion, and cucumber, but you can easily add any of your favorites. Some other great options would be chopped bell peppers, shredded carrots, black olives, sunflower seeds, green onions, bacon bits, blue cheese, etc.
Absolutely! The components of this classic house salad recipe can be prepped at the beginning of the week. Store separately, each in an airtight container, in the fridge to use all week long. We like to make sure we keep the salad, croutons, and dressing separate so that nothing is getting soggy.
Made this delicious recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
A classic, go-to house salad recipe that pairs well with any meal! Made with common ingredients but has exceptional taste!
Creamy Italian Dressing:
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (sub avocado oil)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest, more to taste
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons high quality mayo, more as needed
- 4–6 cups mixed greens
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups cucumber, sliced and quartered
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shaved
- 1–2 cups croutons, regular or gluten-free
- If making, add the Creamy Italian Dressing ingredients to a food processor. Mix until well combined and smooth. Taste and add additional salt or pepper, as desired. Set aside.
- Between four bowls divide the mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, parmesan cheese, and croutons.
- Serve dressing on the side, so people can add as much as they desire.
- Salad Ingredients: the measurements for the ingredients in the salad are a suggestion – feel free to increase or decrease, depending upon what you prefer.
- Serving Size: 6oz
- Calories: 125
- Sugar: 1.6 g
- Sodium: 277.8 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.6 g
- Protein: 4.2 g
- Cholesterol: 7.9 mg
Keywords: house salad, house salad recipe, traditional house salad, house salad dressing