This quick & easy Instant Pot Wild Rice is a simple side dish recipe that’s ready in minutes! It is definitely the quickest way to cook wild rice that we have found. Perfect to go with just about anything or to toss in homemade chicken wild rice soup!
The Best Instant Pot Wild Rice
Making this super easy Instant Pot wild rice recipe is such a time saver for one of our favorite side dishes! Plus, you can just set-it-and-forget-it until you are ready to serve it with dinner or toss in a favorite soup recipe, like Leftover Turkey Wild Rice Soup. We also love tossing it in our Wild Rice Stuffing for our Thanksgiving Dinner! No matter how you use it, you are going to love this easy cooking technique.
What You Will Need
- chicken broth or water – keep it simple with water or add a little more flavor by grabbing some chicken broth at the grocery store or make your own!
- uncooked wild rice – a delicious rice variety that is one of our all-time favorites.
- kosher salt – just a pinch for some added seasoning.
Is Wild Rice Healthy
Yes! Here is a nice article on all the health benefits of wild rice!!
How Do To Cook Wild Rice In An Instant Pot
To start making this simple Instant Pot recipe, rinse your wild rice under cold water.
Do You Need To Rinse Wild Rice Before Cooking
Yes! It is always best to rinse wild rice thoroughly with cold water before cooking. It will still turn out without rinsing but we highly recommend it!
Place your rinsed wild rice, broth (or water), and a pinch of salt in the Instant Pot.
Seal the lid to the Instant Pot and pressure cook on the high setting for 25 minutes and then naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes.
Give it a quick stir and then serve! Yum!
What Should I Serve with Wild Rice
I usually serve wild rice as a side dish with chicken or pork. Some of my favorites are grilled chicken breasts, sous vide chicken breasts, and simple weeknight sumac pork chops. But wild rice is so versatile you could really serve it with just about anything! Or you can follow this simple process to cook it and then add it to another recipe, like this Chicken and Wild Rice Soup or casserole.
Can You Freeze Cooked Wild Rice
Absolutely! After the cooked wild rice as cooled a bit you can place it in a freezer-safe bag and lay it down in the freezer to store flat. We recommend using it within about 3 months. It is super easy to reheat or for tossing in any of your favorite wild rice recipes!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Instant Pot Wild Rice – a simple and easy side dish recipe to make wild rice in the Instant Pot. And the cooking time is SO much shorter!
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth (or water)
- 1 cup wild rice
- pinch of kosher salt
- Rinse rice under cold water.
- Add rinsed rice, broth (or water) and pinch of salt to Instant Pot (you do not need to use the trivet).
- Stir to combine.
- Close Instant Pot and make sure it is set to Seal.
- Pressure cook on HIGH for 25 minutes.
- Allow to naturally release for 10 minutes then carefully manually release any remaining pressure.
- Stir rice.
- If there is a tiny amount of water at the bottom, that’s okay. Stir your rice up a couple times and it will soak in/evaporate quickly!
- Cooking time: resulting texture of this recipe is that the rice is fairly soft and a little chewy. If you want your rice a little more chewy (less soft) reduce cooking time by 3 minutes (and reduce water by 2 tablespoons). If you want your rice VERY soft increase cooking time by 2-3 minutes.
- Storage: place cooked wild rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-6 days.
Keywords: instant pot wild rice, wild rice instant pot