This classic Lasagna Soup is packed with flavor and perfect for soup season! Made with ground beef, sweet Italian sausage, marinara sauce, herbs, lasagna noodles, and the most amazing ricotta cheese mixture on top. Enjoy as a family dinner at home or feed a crowd!
The Best Lasagna Soup Recipe
Our family definitely loves a traditional lasagna recipe, but sometimes it is time to change it up! That’s where this delicious recipe comes in. It is basically all the same flavors of lasagna, but deconstructed as a cozy bowl of soup. The flavors are amazing and you have to top it with our easy ricotta mixture and freshly grated parmesan cheese! Option to make it dairy-free or gluten-free and the whole family is going to love it!
Looking for more of our favorite soups? Checkout this complete list of our 31+ Best Soups!
What Is Lasagna Soup Made Of
- ricotta mixture topping
- whole ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese & parmesan cheese – a combination of 3 cheeses that are a must for any traditional lasagna recipe.
- lemon juice – a bit of acidity to lighten & brighten all the natural flavors.
- Italian seasoning – grab some from your local grocery store or make your own!
- lasagna soup
- ground beef & Italian sausage – the perfect blend of ground meat that provides a flavorful base to this soup recipe. You could also use ground turkey and/or spicy sausage.
- kosher salt & ground black pepper – simple seasonings that are always good!
- yellow onion & garlic – aromatics that are a great way to start any homemade soup recipe.
- marinara sauce – option to make a homemade marinara sauce or a quick and easy pasta sauce!
- fresh basil & dried oregano leaves – this combination of fresh and dried herbs is amazing.
- chicken broth or chicken stock – if you have the time, make this homemade chicken broth!
- regular lasagna noodles – to make it gluten-free, just grab your favorite gluten-free noodles.
How To Make Lasagna Soup
To start making this easy soup, we like to begin by whipping up the ricotta mixture in a medium mixing bowl.
Now you can start heating up a large pot on medium heat to brown the ground beef and Italian sausage. Use a large wooden spoon to break up the meat into smaller pieces.
After all the ground meat is browned, you can add the chopped onion and minced garlic. Move them around in the pan for about 1-2 minutes.
Next, add the marinara sauce, basil, oregano leaves, salt, and pepper to the soup pot. Mix to fully combine.
Then gradually pour in the chicken broth into the meat sauce and bring to a simmer.
Now break your lasagna noodles into small pieces and place them in the pot to cook until they are al dente (per the package directions).
Mix to fully combine. Pro tip: toss in some freshly chopped spinach or kale for an added vegetable!
Spoon the hot soup into separate bowls, add a generous dollop of ricotta, and parmesan cheese on top!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Lasagna Soup – a warm, delicious and easy Lasagna Soup recipe that is perfect for cold weather! Made with simple, real ingredients!
- 10oz whole ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground Italian sausage*
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (more to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 24oz marinara sauce**
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 9–11 lasagna noodles, broken (regular or gluten-free)
- Make Ricotta: Combine Ricotta Mixture ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Refrigerate until later.
- Brown Meat: Bring a large Dutch Oven to medium-high heat. Add ground beef and Italian sausage and move around the pan until fully cooked. Drain excess grease (it’s okay to leave a little, but no more than about a tablespoon). Season with kosher salt and ground black pepper. Add onion and garlic. Move around pan until the onion has softened, approx. 1-2 minutes.
- Finish Soup Mixture: Add marinara sauce, fresh basil, dried oregano leaves, red pepper flakes (if using) and chicken broth. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Taste and add additional salt, as-necessary (but remember the ricotta and parmesan cheese will add a bit of saltiness too when serving).
- Cook Noodles: Break lasagna noodles into your preferred size and add them to the pot. Simmer until noodles are cooked al dente (see package instructions of the noodles you are using). Remove from heat.
- Serve: Divide into bowls and serve with a generous dollop of the ricotta mixture, freshly grated parmesan cheese and additional fresh basil leaves.
- *Italian Sausage: we tested this recipe with sweet Italian sausage and it was amazing, but feel free to sub in your favorite or preferred sausage.
- **Marinara Sauce: feel free to use homemade marinara sauce (we love this recipe), but otherwise we tested this with Rao’s Basil Marinara and loved it!
- Gluten-Free: to make this recipe gluten-free use gluten-free lasagna noodles.
- Dairy-Free: to make this dairy-free use a store-bought ricotta cheese or use a homemade dairy-free ricotta – omit the parmesan cheese or use a dairy-free alternative.
- Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Freezer: follow the recipe card directions and place in a freezer-safe container before adding the noodles. Store in the freezer for 2-3 months and when you are ready to serve, warm it on the stove, and add the broken lasagna noodles to cook until al dente.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 333
- Sugar: 14.7 g
- Sodium: 1867.3 mg
- Fat: 10.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 39.5 g
- Protein: 19.4 g
- Cholesterol: 38 mg
Keywords: lasagna soup