This delicious and simple Pita Sandwich is made with hummus, cucumbers, and black olives. It’s a flavorful, quick, and healthy lunch or dinner and a great way to use your garden-fresh cucumbers.
Easy Vegan Pita Sandwich
On those busy work weeks we love having a quick, simple lunch option that is packed with vegetables and super satisfying! This definitely does the trick. There are so many different ways you could top this sandwich, depending on what you have on hand. We have been loving this quick and easy sandwich for years and are so excited for you to try it!
If you need another quick lunch option – you also have to try our Simple Lettuce Sandwich!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Easy: I mean, its a pita sandwich, right?! No cooking involved, just toss everything together and you are done!
- Flavor Combo: I feel like this might be a slightly different flavor combination than you are used to? Black olives, cucumber and hummus? I promise, it is so good!
- Plant-Based: I am far from being vegan, but I have always loved incorporating plant-based meals into my weekly menu plan and this is one that I have gone back to again and again for years!
What You Will Need
- pita bread – grab any pita bread of your choice from the local grocery store!
- hummus – there are so many great options that you can pickup at the store or make your own roasted garlic hummus.
- fresh cucumbers – a perfect recipe to make late in the summer when all those cucumbers are popping in the garden!
- black olives & sprouts – these are some of our favorite toppings, but feel free to use any you want.
How To Make A Pita Sandwich
First, you can begin by gathering all of your ingredients.
We like to cut our pita bread in half to create two perfect sized pockets.
Now they are ready to spread on a generous amount of your favorite hummus and toss in the toppings.
What Should I Serve With This Sandwich
There are a few different items we like to pair with this fresh sandwich. You could make it a classic soup and sandwich combo by serving it with our broccoli cheese soup or easy pumpkin soup. We also love to round it out with a fruity smoothie, like our raspberry smoothie or pineapple smoothie!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Pita Sandwich – an incredibly simple and easy vegan pita sandwich recipe that is flavorful and delicious! Top it anyway you want!
- whole wheat pita bread
- 1/4 cup hummus of your choice
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 10–12 black olives, sliced
- Optional: 1/4 cup sprouts
- Take the pita bread and cut in half.
- Take a butter knife and spread 2-3 tablespoons of hummus in each side.
- Add cucumber and black olives.
- Add sprouts, if desired.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Pita Bread: You can really use whatever pita bread you prefer for this!
- Hummus: any kind of hummus will work. I generally use a regular hummus or this Roasted Garlic Hummus! I have also found a Kalamata Olive Hummus a few times that worked really well!
- Protein: If you are looking to add a little more protein you could toss in a few shelled edamame if you want!
- What to Serve it With: Need something else to go with it? This might pair nicely with a little smoothie! We love this Mango Smoothie or this Cold Brew Coffee Smoothie!
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 199
- Sugar: 2.1 g
- Sodium: 555.5 mg
- Fat: 7.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.6 g
- Protein: 5.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan pita sandwich