Whole Baked Carrots + Roasted Beet Pesto with Walnuts and Goat Cheese is a simple, savory side dish that is perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
You guys – believe it or not, Thanksgiving (and Christmas for that matter) are coming. Like, really soon. Have you started planning your Thanksgiving dinner yet? Or have you started planning your token side dish you volunteered to bring? Welllllll….. why don’t you brighten up the table with this beautiful and delicious Whole Roasted Carrots + Roasted Beet Pesto (with walnuts and goat cheese, of course). It is simple, so flavorful and will really shake up the typical Thanksgiving fare.
So, most people have had roasted carrots before. Simple enough, right. It’s the awesome beet pesto (made with roasted beets, honey, walnuts, salt and olive oil) that really elevates this to a whole new level. The beautiful purple color on top of the bright orange carrots – it will stop the show. The key is sprinkling lots of walnuts on top to add some crunch. And then a sprinkling of goat cheese. Simple ingredients. Beautiful colors. Depth of flavor. It doesn’t get any better than this.
I promise – this won’t disappoint. It’s time to throw some bright beautiful colors and mix up your typical stuffing, green bean casserole and crescent rolls. Beet Pesto….. – who knew. So good.
Can’t get enough beets in your life? Check out Roasted Beets + Salt and Honey!
- Roasted Beets:
- 3 large beets, diced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- Roasted Carrots:
- 12–16 whole carrots
- 3–4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- Roasted Beet Pesto:
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons walnuts
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup olive oil (feel free to add more if you want a looser consistency)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 6–8oz soft goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place diced beets in bowl and toss in 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and 1 Teaspoon kosher salt.
- Place on foil-lined cookie sheet and roast for 20 minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
- Place carrots on foil-lined cookie sheet and drizzle olive oil over each carrot and then sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Place in oven at 375 for 20 minutes, but flip after 10 minutes.
- While carrots are baking, combine beets, 1/4 teaspoon salt, walnuts, honey, water and olive oil into food processor and blend until smooth (feel free to leave it chunkier if you prefer or add additional olive oil if you want a smoother consistency).
- Remove carrots from oven after 20 minutes.
- Place carrots on serving platter and spoon beet pesto over the middle (as pictured), then place a generous amount of walnuts over the top and then a couple little chunks of soft goat cheese on top.
- Feel free to have extra walnuts, honey and goat cheese on the side so that people can decide how much they want to add, if any.
- *the beet pesto could easily be made ahead of time and simply warmed up before dinner
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting The Wooden Skillet!