Work Lunch Greek Chicken Salad – an on-the-go lunch that can be prepped ahead of time! (Whole30/Paleo/Dairy-Free)
If you are looking for some work-lunch inspiration these on-the-go Work Lunch Greek Chicken Salad jars are perfect!
I get requests for easy on-the-go lunches all the time. You guys want something healthy, delicious, filling and portable to bring with you to work. I totally get it.
I absolutely love having salads for lunch – but not just your typical leafy green salads. My salads honestly barely have any lettuce in them and they are super random. Whatever I have in the fridge gets put in them :). I once had left over brats and made a salad out of it for lunch the next day (because I am also ALL about leftovers for lunch – you guys know that). But when I don’t have a chance to come home for lunch or I just know I will be traveling during the day, etc. I like to make sure I have a good lunch ready for me. And a lunch that will keep me full! Nothing worse than having your stomach growl a hour after you eat!
Greek salad are one of my favorites, but you can really modify this as you wish! Add some avocado, tomatoes, cashews … whatever works for you! I would just recommend putting your chicken on the bottom, then olives, artichokes, cucumber, red onion and top it with your lettuce.
How to prep chicken for make-ahead-lunches:
- I LOVE grilled chicken – sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides and grill on medium/medium high heat for 10-15 minutes (depending upon how thick your chicken breast is). Let rest for 5-8 minutes and then cut into cubes.
- The easiest way I know to prep chicken is to just boil some water in a large saucepan, put your whole boneless/skinless chicken breast in the water, cover and boil/simmer for 15-20 minutes. Pull out the chicken and cut in half at the largest part. If it is still pink in the middle just throw them back in the water for another 10 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly – then shred with two forks.
- I have to be honest – I don’t even own an instant pot! But if you do here is a good article from The Kitchen on how to cook chicken in your instant pot!
Tips for packing your on-the-go salad:
- Use a nice, portable container. I love these Weck jars! But these salad containers work really well too!
- Pack your salad dressing separately – these little containers work really well!
- Put the chicken or other meat on the bottom so any juices don’t get the rest of your ingredients soggy.
- Batch prep for the week – I would recommend making 3 batches and then eat those Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Make a tuna salad or have leftovers the other two days. This way you don’t eat the same thing two days in a row.
A easily prepped take-to-work lunch idea!
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup artichoke
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- greek dressing (I love Primal Kitchen’s Greek Vinaigrette)
- (feel free to add avocado, chickpeas or tomato too!)
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on chicken.
- Grill on medium heat for 10-12 minutes, flipping once – internal temp needs to be 165.
- You can also cook your chicken in a cast iron or instant pot – I also batch prep chicken by boiling the whole breast in water for 15-20 minutes or until internal temp of 165 and then shred it to save for salads.
- In your choice of storage container place chicken on the bottom, then olive, artichokes, cucumber, red onion and lettuce.
- Place salad dressing in small storage safe container.
- Bring both to work and either pour into a salad bowl or eat out of your storage container.
- Prep several and they will be fine in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting all things The Wooden Skillet.