Vegan Apple Walnut Bars – easy and delicious apple walnut bars are healthy and perfect for fall!
Helloooo apples. I have been dreaming up these beauties for weeks and I am so excited to FINALLY be sharing them! Vegan Apple Walnut Bars …. get in my belly.
Alright you guys, how amazing do these look! So amazing – right? They are paleo and vegan and freakin amazing. And the apple checkerboard is a must – yes, it takes a little patience, but it is so worth it.
I have only dipped my toe into vegan baking one other time, so this was stressful…. several batches (and swear words) later – I finally got the recipe right. It was my first time baking with a flax egg (1 Tablespoon ground flax + 3 Tablespoons water, whisk, and then let sit for about 5-10 minutes) – I have to say it was challenging, but so fun to really push myself to try something new and uncomfortable. I really have been dreaming of this recipe for weeks and weeks and it was so cool to finally have it come together and then to snag these awesome pics – so happy! If you haven’t baked with flax eggs before, the bars are soft and delicious, but they tend to crumble just a bit more than a egg/butter bar – just so you know that is normal!
Oh, and it is no coincidence that I also just posted the recipe for Easy Vegan Salted Caramel Sauce….. you have to, have to, have to drizzle some on top of these!
I really hope you guys like these (kid and husband approved – obviously 😊). You all seem to be loving the vegan desserts so I will keep them coming! Please let me know if you have any requests for dessert recipes!
Also, I have had several people ask about Whole30-friendly and plant-based friendly holiday menu ideas – so I will be posting more of those in the coming weeks! Aaaaand I will be working on an awesome menu-plan for my January Whole30 – stay tuned friends! So much good stuff coming!
For now though….. I am enjoying the apple bars like woah.
And don’t forget to top them with this….mmmm-kay
I am absolutely LOVING all of these yummy fall recipes and I can’t wait to share all of the new recipes I am cooking up! Have a good rest of your week!
- 3 flax eggs (3 Tbl ground flax + 9 Tbl water; whisk and let sit on counter until recipe calls for them)
- 1½ cup coconut sugar
- 6 Tablespoons creamy almond butter
- ¾ cup coconut butter (softened)
- ¾ cup coconut oil (softened)
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3½ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 Teaspoons baking soda
- 1 Teaspoons salt
- 2 Teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 honey crisp apples- sliced as thin as possible
- 2 Granny Smith apples - sliced as thin as possible
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In stand mixer combine coconut sugar, almond butter, coconut butter, coconut oil and vanilla.
- Add remaining ingredients (except the apples) and mix.
- If dough is too dry, add some water 1 Tablespoon at a time.
- Take a 9x12 baking pan and lay parchment paper across it so you will be able to lift out your bars.
- Pour dough into pan and then press firmly into pan so it is evenly spread out.
- Take your apple slices and start making a checkerboard pattern (as shown in pictures).
- Bake for 45 minutes and then check with a toothpick to ensure they are done - otherwise bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Let sit in pan for 10 minutes and then carefully lift out of pan and let cool on rack for 10 minutes.
- Serve with Vegan Salted Carmel Sauce