Bison Burger – A simple recipe for the most flavorful and juicy Bison Burgers! We keep the burgers simple with some kosher salt and pepper for seasoning and then top them with perfectly melted cheese, whiskey onions, lettuce, gorgonzola cheese, and the most amazing smokey sauce!
The Best Grilled Bison Burger Recipe
Tossing some burgers on the grill is a staple of the summer, but sometimes you need to change it up! These tasty bison burgers are the perfect option to switch up your standard beef burger rotation (you also need to try these Pork Burgers!). The flavor combination of these burgers with all of the toppings piled high on your burger bun of choice is so good, plus they are simple enough to make for a quick weeknight dinner. The whole family will devour these amazing burgers!
What You Will Need
- bison burgers:
- ground bison meat – this is a pretty lean meat so they should stay together well for making patties but you can always add an egg if you feel they aren’t sticking.
- kosher salt & pepper – a simple seasoning for making any type of meat.
- sliced cheese – we used swiss but you could also use pepper jack or white American cheese.
- lettuce – just a couple pieces of romaine are perfect for a little added crunch!
- bun of choice – option to use a gluten-free bun, if you prefer.
- crumbled gorgonzola cheese – a perfect topping that adds a touch of salty flavor.
- whiskey onions:
- sweet yellow onions – slice them nice and thin for caramelizing.
- olive or avocado oil – just a splash of either one in a large skillet.
- whiskey – just grab your favorite and feel free to adjust to as much or as little as you want. You also have the option to omit the whiskey and just do a basic caramelized onion.
- kosher salt & pepper – a pinch of each for some added seasoning.
- smokey sauce:
- mayonnaise – we love our homemade option or the store bought option by Primal Kitchen.
- balsamic vinegar & liquid smoke – this combo provides a really great smokey flavor that is the perfect compliment to this burger!
Is Bison Meat Good For Making Burgers
Definitely! It is a really nice lean meat that has a lot of great flavor all on its own so you don’t have to add a lot of spices or seasonings. You are going to love it!
Internal Temp Requirements For A Bison Burger
You will want to cook your bison burger on the grill or in a cast iron skillet until the internal temp reaches at least 140 degrees F for a medium rare burger or 160 degrees F for a well done burger. It just depends on how you like them.
Bison Burger Side Dishes
For the burger itself we highly suggest ALL the toppings – sliced cheese, whiskey onions, gorgonzola cheese, lettuce, and a simple smokey sauce! They really are the perfect combination but feel free to adjust the toppings to your liking.
As far as what to serve with your burger, you can never go wrong with a burger and fries. We also love grilled potato wedges, grilled broccoli, or grilled asparagus!
We absolutely love making enough to have leftovers in the fridge for another meal so feel free to store these cooked burgers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Just keep your toppings stored separately and assemble after you have reheated the burger and you are ready to eat.
How To Make Bison Burgers
First, you can mix the bison meat, salt and pepper together in a mixing bowl.
And form them into patties.
Place them on a clean preheated grill and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side. If you are adding cheese you will want to do this during the last couple minutes of cooking.
Make the whiskey onions in a cast iron skillet on the stovetop.
Then you can assemble your amazing burger and pile on the toppings!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Other Burger Recipes You Might Like
Wisconsin Butter Burger
Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger
Caramelized Onion Burger
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 28 minutes
- Yield: 3 burgers 1x
- Category: Dinner/Entree
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
Bison Burger – insanely delicious bison burger recipe with whiskey onions, smokey sauce and crumbled gorgonzola cheese!
- 1 pound ground bison
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- slices of cheese (I recommend swiss or pepperjack or white American)
- lettuce of your choice
- bun of your choice
- crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1 large sweet yellow onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 2–3 tablespoons of your favorite whiskey, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Combine ground bison, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir to combine.
- Divide bison into equal portions and form into balls. Gently flatten and form into a patty (should be a little bit bigger/wider than a regular-sized burger bun as they will shrink a bit during cooking). Place on a plate and sprinkle the tops of bit more with additional salt and pepper. At this point you can store in the refrigerator for later if you are prepping them ahead of time.
- Ensure grill grates are clean and turn grill to medium-high heat. Spray grates with olive oil (or other non-stick spray of your choosing).
- Place bison patties over direct heat and let cook 3-4 minutes per side or until they have reached your desired doneness/internal temperature. Use an internal meat thermometer. 135-145 degrees F. is a medium-rare burger.
- If you are adding cheese to your bison burger add when there are about 2-3 minutes left in your cook time – the cheese will continue to melt after you take the burgers off the grill.
- Remove burgers from grill and place on a plate; let rest 5-8 minutes.
- Bring a medium/large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil; swirl to coat the pan.
- Add in 1 tablespoon whiskey followed by the onions. Sprinkle onions with salt and pepper.
- Move onions around the pan slowly as they begin to cook.
- Caramelized Onions: Cook low and slow for up to 30 minutes, moving around every so often – the longer you cook them the more caramelized they will get – alternatively you can simply saute on high heat for a more charred result. Add in remaining whiskey right before you remove from heat and serve.
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- Feel free to double the recipe, if needed.
- Place lettuce on top of the bottom bun followed by some Smokey Sauce.
- Place burger on top.
- Top burger with Whiskey Onions and crumbled gorgonzola cheese. Place other half of bun on top. Enjoy!
- Bison Mixture: I don’t normally add an egg to my burgers, but if you prefer it that way, go for it! Also, you can add in additional seasonings if you prefer – here is what I would recommend in addition to the kosher salt and ground black pepper: 1/2 teaspoon onion powder + 1-2 teaspoons minced garlic.
- USDA: please note the USDA recommends that all meat be cooked fully.
- Gluten-Free: to make this recipe gluten-free simply ensure you are using a gluten-free bun.
Keywords: bison burger
Leave a Rating & Comment