Wisconsin Butter Burger is a juicy, delicious burger option that is perfect any time of the year! Made in a cast iron skillet with a little extra butter in the pan + a nice buttered hamburger bun make this an unforgettable dinner option!
THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY:
This post is sponsored by Country Natural Beef, the opinions are my own.
Amazing Wisconsin Butter Burger
Born and raised in Wisconsin, I know a good Butter Burger when I see (or taste) it! And this hit the mark! Made with high-quality, Country Natural Beef Butcher Blend Ground Beef and that little bit of extra butter – these are going to be family-favorites!
Another reason these burgers are so good … the beef! Country Natural Beef is 100% owned by family ranchers and is G.A.P. Step 4 Animal Welfare Certified which means that their animals are pasture-raised, fed a vegetarian diet, provided a safe and enriched environment and never receive antibiotics or added hormones. They also happen to be a Whole30-Approved partner! And I have to say, this is honestly the best ground beef I have ever tasted. You truly can tell the difference and I am so proud to be partnering with them today!
Why This Recipe Works
- High-quality meat: whenever you are cooking a burger and the meat is the obvious star of the show, you gotta use the highest quality meat possible! That flavor needs to shine through! Pasture-raised from a cooperative of family farmers, Country Natural Beef is a great option!
- Butter: of course this is called a Butter Burger so we gotta go a little extra with the butter (duh) – but staying true to the classic Culver’s Butter Burger, we are not going crazy. A little extra butter in the skillet and on the bun and you are good to go!
- Double it: we are making a thinner beef patty here so feel free to double it if you want!
Butter Burger Ingredients
- Country Natural Beef Butcher’s Blend Ground Beef: I can’t say it enough, the flavor of this ground beef blend of brisket, short rib and chuck combine to create flavor perfection – it is just better than anything I have tasted!
- kosher salt + ground black pepper: I like to keep my seasoning simple and let that amazing ground beef flavor shine through.
- butter: a little butter in the pan and on the bun!
- cheese: you gotta go for the Wisconsin cheese here!
- hamburger buns of your choice: make this gluten-free or use a regular hamburger bun – whatever works best for you.
- Toppings: lettuce, sliced red onion, sliced fresh tomato, burger sauce OR ketchup/mustard
Why is it Called a Butter Burger
Let’s go straight to the source! Per the Culver’s website the reason they are called Butter Burgers “not because they’ve been cooked, marinated, dunked, fried or drizzled with butter but because we lightly butter the crown of the bun for an extra touch of goodness.” (Source: Culver’s website) We took it a step further and did put just a small pad of butter into our skillet to add just touch of extra butteriness AND we, of course, buttered the bun!
How to Make a Wisconsin Butter Burger
Combine your ground beef, salt and pepper. Mix well.
You can use a burger seasoning if you prefer!
Create your patties – we are making thinner quarter-pound patties here – not too thick.
Add butter to your cast iron skillet – not too much, but enough for a little extra flavor.
Cook patties about 3-4 minutes per side or until the center has reached your desired doneness.
Add cheese, if using, for the last 2 minutes of cook time.
Build your burger!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Other Recipes You Might Like
Juicy Turkey Burgers
Juicy Chicken Burgers
Mexican Street Corn Burgers
Wisconsin Butter Burgers
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Total Time: 16 minutes
- Yield: 3 burgers 1x
- Category: Dinner/Entree
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Wisconsin Butter Burger – a delicious butter burger recipe that is packed with flavor, cheese and all the toppings! Perfect any time of year!
- 1 lb Country Natural Beef Butcher’s Blend Ground Beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 4 slices of American cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 4 hamburger buns of your choice (regular or gluten-free)
- sliced red onion
- sliced fresh tomato
- burger sauce OR ketchup/mustard
- Combine ground beef, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Divide into 4 equal-sized ball and then flatten each into thin patties.
- Press down in the center of each patty with your thumb.
- Bring a large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat.
- Add a 1/2 tablespoon of butter and let melt.
- Add two patties to the pan and cook 3-4 minutes. Season the top of the patties with a little more kosher salt and pepper if you want (I usually do).
- Flip and cook until the center reaches your desired doneness (135-145 degrees F. for medium rare); add cheese for the last 2 minutes of cook time.
- Remove from skillet and let rest 5 minutes.
- Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon of butter and repeat with remaining patties.
- Build your burger: Add a little butter to the bottom and top bun. On top of the bottom bun add lettuce and one or two cheeseburgers followed by ketchup/mustard (or burger sauce), sliced onion and tomatoes.
- Dairy-Free: to make this dairy-free simply use dairy-free cheese slices.
- Gluten-Free: to make this gluten-free simply choose a gluten-free burger bun option.
Keywords: butter burger, wisconsin butter burger
Leave a Rating & Comment