This quick and easy Creamy Coleslaw is the perfect addition to any backyard cookout, family gatherings, summer picnic, or your next potluck! It is simply the best coleslaw recipe that is made with only 5 basic ingredients! One of the best summer side dishes!
Simple Creamy Coleslaw Recipe
This classic creamy coleslaw is a summer tradition! As soon as the weather starts getting warm and we fire up the grill, we know it is time to make the first batch of homemade creamy coleslaw for the summer. It only takes about 10 minutes to make this super easy coleslaw recipe, but we do love to let it hangout in the fridge for 30 minutes or so before serving. It just allows time for all those flavors to really bring the coleslaw mix to the next level!
Why You Will Love this Recipe
- Easy – this can be prepped in only 10 minutes and uses only 5 real ingredients.
- Topping or side dish – it is the best homemade coleslaw that can be used in so many different ways – on a sandwich, on a taco, or just as a great side dish! Perfect side dish for for all your grilled and smoked summer recipes!
- Summer classic – a super easy, classic summer addition to any barbecue or cookout!
What You Will Need
- classic coleslaw mix: keep it simple and just pick-up a bag of crunchy cabbage from your local grocery store!
- sweet yellow onion: love the little pop of flavor and crunch this gives.
- mayonnaise: we love our homemade mayo recipe, but feel free to use whatever works best for you.
- white vinegar: this gives a little acid to round out the flavor.
- coconut sugar: feel free to skip the sweetener if you want, but this give a gentle sweetness that we love!
- salt & pepper: really use as much or as little as you want.
How To Make Coleslaw
First, place the cole slaw mix in a large mixing bowl with the diced onion.
In a separate, small bowl, combine the mayo, vinegar, and sugar together to make a creamy coleslaw dressing.
Pour the creamy dressing over the cabbage mixture in the large bowl. Use a large spoon to fully mix everything together.
Enjoy any way you want!
How To Serve Creamy Coleslaw
You can do SO many things with this easy coleslaw recipe!! It’s a perfect topping for BBQ chicken tacos or BBQ chicken sandwiches. The cool creaminess is just perfection on top of a warm, saucy chicken. You could also serve it as a classic side dish with pulled pork, crockpot BBQ chicken, hot dogs, or smoked baby back ribs! Get creative and share with us your favorite way to enjoy this summer classic!
Recipe FAQs and Tips
- Coleslaw mix: if you don’t want to buy coleslaw bagged mix or can’t find it you can always just shred your own cabbage on your own and mix in some julienned carrots!
- Optional toppings: if you are looking for a garnish or topping, try some green onions or chopped red onions.
- Storage: best when enjoyed fresh if you want a more crunchy texture, but you can store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to 2-3 days – after that it may get a little watery.
- Can you freeze coleslaw? Yes! Simply whip up your coleslaw and place directly in a silicone freezer bag, squeeze out as much air as you can, and you can freeze it for up to 1 month. Only do this right after you make the coleslaw, if it has been sitting in the fridge it is not recommended to freeze it. Thaw frozen coleslaw by allowing it to defrost in the fridge overnight.
You can do some of the coleslaw prep ahead of time, but make sure you keep the coleslaw mix & onions in one container and then the rest of the ingredients in another container. Only mix together once you are ready for it to start doing its coleslaw magic! Or if you prefer your own coleslaw mix to be more wilted or soft you can make it, store in the fridge, and enjoy the next day.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
Other Recipes You Might Like
Smoked Baked Beans
Pulled Pork Tacos
Smoked Pork Shoulder
Smoked Baby Back Ribs
Creamy Coleslaw Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Counter Top
- Cuisine: American
Creamy Coleslaw Recipe – a simple, easy recipe for creamy coleslaw that is made with real ingredients! The perfect summer side dish!
- 14oz classic coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup sweet yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar (or rice vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- pinch of kosher salt and ground black pepper
- Place coleslaw mix and diced yellow onion in a medium bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, combine mayo, vinegar and coconut sugar. Stir to combine. Add additional splashes of vinegar to thin out more, if desired. Add additional coconut sugar to sweeten more, if desired.
- Pour mayo mixture into coleslaw mix and stir to combine.
- Use in your favorite recipe or as a yummy side dish.
- Coleslaw Mix: if you don’t want to buy coleslaw mix or can’t find it, you can always just shred fresh green cabbage on your own and mix in some julienned carrots!
- Mayo: we love making our own mayo, but feel free to use what you like!
- Coconut Sugar: you can use regular granulated sugar if you don’t have this or don’t want to use coconut sugar.
- Storage: best enjoyed fresh, but you can store this creamy slaw in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days – after that it may get a little watery.
- Serving Size: 6oz
- Calories: 55
- Sugar: 2.8 g
- Sodium: 88.5 mg
- Fat: 3.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.2 g
- Protein: 0.6 g
- Cholesterol: 8 mg
Keywords: coleslaw recipe, creamy coleslaw, creamy coleslaw recipe
Made this coleslaw to go with pulled pork sandwiches, and it was perfect! It is simple but tasty, and a great base if you want to add your own spin. I might include some apple next time!
So happy you enjoyed it! Love the idea of adding apple!