This simple Grilled Asparagus Recipe is a step-by-step tutorial that will have you grilling asparagus like a pro in no time! Using only 4 simple ingredients you will have perfectly crisp asparagus in less than 10 minutes!
Simple Grilled Asparagus
Being able to cook an entire meal on the grill is simply the best! Great flavors, cooks pretty quickly, and very minimal clean-up. Grilled asparagus with some char marks and smokey flavor and will be ready to eat in less than 10 minutes and is the perfect side dish to have with grilled chicken thighs, grilled steaks, or cedar plank salmon. We love it and you will too!
What You Will Need
- fresh asparagus stalks – we find the thinner stalks tend to be a bit more tender and cook a little faster so we try to pick those over thicker options.
- olive oil – make sure you take the time to really rub this into all the nooks and crannies.
- kosher salt & black pepper – the perfect simple seasoning while cooking any fresh vegetable.
- optional flavor additions – lemon juice, garlic, parmesan cheese, or red chili flakes.
Should Asparagus Be Soaked Or Blanched Before Grilling
This is completely up to you! We love nice, crisp asparagus with a bit of char on the outside so we keep it simple and cook it right on the grill without blanching or soaking first. If you like asparagus to be a bit more soft or to have less char on the outside you can absolutely soak or blanch it before placing on the grill.
We love serving this side dish when our main course is also being cooked on the grill. Our favorites to have with grilled asparagus are grilled spatchcock chicken, grilled pork tenderloin, or grilled salmon. Before serving you also have the option of tossing them with fresh lemon juice, pine nuts, slivered almonds, or fresh herbs for some added protein or flavor.
You can simply store any leftovers in an airtight container with a lid in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days!
How To Cook Asparagus On The Grill
You can begin by using a sharp knife to trim the thicker, tougher ends off of your asparagus spears.
Rub the asparagus down with olive oil, sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, and place on a clean preheated grill. Cook, turning regularly, for about 5-6 minutes or until fork tender.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
How to Grill Asparagus – a simple, step-by-step recipe that will make you a grilled asparagus pro! Turns out perfectly ever time!
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus
- olive oil
- Heat grill to 450.
- Take asparagus and GENTLY bend each one toward the white end; the asparagus will naturally snap in half where the tough part (that is too tough to eat) meets the tender part. Alternative: you can trim off the bottom inch or two.
- Place asparagus on baking sheet and drizzle with some olive oil.
- Use your hands to massage oil into the asparagus so each piece is lightly coated.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place asparagus perpendicular to the grill grates so they don’t fall through and cook on direct heat for a total of 5-6 minutes, using a tongs to move the asparagus around once or twice so all sides cook.
- Remove and serve immediately.
- Storage: place in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Keywords: how to grill asparagus, grilled asparagus, grilled asparagus recipe