Easy Broiled Tomatoes – a simple appetizer that everyone will love! A beautiful, thick cooked tomato with a salty and delicious parmesan cheese topping!
Best Ever Broiled Tomatoes
When you are in need of a delicious appetizer that uses ingredients you probably already have in the house – this is it! It only takes 15 minutes and these cheesy slices of heaven are definitely a crowd pleaser.
Why This Recipe Works:
- Tomatoes: the tomatoes are thick-sliced and really aren’t cooked very long so they are warm, but not very mushy!
- Mayo + Parmesan Cheese: The combination of the mayo + parmesan cheese under the broiler is heavenly!
- Onions: They add just enough of a crunch!
Are Cooked Tomatoes Healthy
Yes, they are actually more healthy for you. Tomatoes have lycopene which is an antioxidant that reduces the risk of many types of cancer. Lycopene is released when tomatoes are cooked making it more easily absorbed by the body.
What You Will Need
- tomatoes: I recommend larger beefsteak tomatoes for this recipe!
- mayo: feel free to use your favorite kind – we love using our homemade mayo!
- parmesan cheese: just shredded parmesan cheese works perfectly here
- ground oregano + kosher salt: love the flavor combo!
- yellow onion: these add just a bit of crunch – you will want a sweet yellow onion as they aren’t cooked a ton.
Other Appetizers to Serve when Hosting a Crowd
- Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Delicious Grilled Eggplant Bruschetta
- Healthy Grain-Free/Gluten-Free Charcuterie Board
How to Make Broiled Tomatoes
Combine your mayo, parmesan cheese, onion, oregano and salt in a bowl.
Stir to combine.
Top your thick tomato slices with a dollop or two of the mayo mixture, flattening it and spreading it out to the edges of the tomatoes.
Place the tomatoes under the broiler for about 2 minutes, but watch them closely! They are done when the mayo mixture is brown and bubbly!
Serve immediately and enjoy!
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!Print
Easy Broiled Tomatoes – an easy, delicious appetizer that comes together so quickly!
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes, cut into 3 thick slices
- 1/2 heaping cup mayo
- 1/2 heaping cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano (or oregano leaves)
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/8 teaspoon of kosher salt
- Turn oven to broil.
- Place tomato slices on a baking sheet.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine mayo, parmesan cheese, oregano, onion and kosher salt.
- Diving mayo mixture evenly between the six tomato slices, add a dollop or two to each and flatten out, spreading it to the edges of each tomato.
- Broil on high approximately 2 minutes, or until the mayo mixture is starting to brown and bubble (watch closely, oven temps vary).
- Remove and serve immediately.
- Mayo: feel free to use whatever mayo you like – here is really nice homemade version that works well in this recipe!
- Tomatoes: a beefsteak or larger tomato really work best for this recipe.
- Leftovers: this is one of those recipes that, in my opinion, doesn’t keep well! The good news is they are so good you probably won’t have leftovers!
Keywords: broiled tomatoes, parmesan tomatoes
Originally published October 5, 2015. Photos have been updated and the recipe remains the same.