Cashew Chicken Stir Fry is an easy, healthy weeknight dinner option the whole family will love!
Why You Will Love this Recipe
- Quick & easy – this delicious meal comes together very quickly in about 30 minutes – perfect for any weeknight!
- Amazing flavors – this sauce with some added garlic and ginger really makes the dish! So many wonderful flavors.
- Veggie packed – bell pepper, celery, broccoli – so many great veggies! You can really use any vegetables that you have on hand.
What You Will Need
- olive or avocado oil
- kosher salt & pepper
- skinless chicken breasts
- sweet yellow onion
- red bell pepper
- chicken broth
- coconut aminos
- rice vinegar
- sesame oil
- arrowroot or tapioca flour
Recipe FAQs and Tips
- Rice vs. Cauliflower Rice: serve with cauliflower rice to keep it Whole30/Paleo, otherwise you can use regular rice too!
- Chicken: the recipe calls for chicken breasts, but you could also use chicken thighs.
- Vegetables: this recipe is so versatile! You can use any vegetables that sound good to you or that you have in your fridge.
- How long can I keep leftovers? Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Can I use a store-bought sauce? Yes, feel free to use any sauce that you prefer but the sauce included in the recipe is pretty amazing so we highly recommend it!
How to Make Cashew Chicken Stir Fry:
Step One – Heat cast iron pan with olive oil and cook chicken with salt and pepper.
Step Two – Remove chicken. Add more olive oil, garlic, ginger, broccoli, celery, and red bell pepper.
Step Three – Remove vegetables, simmer the sauce ingredients and then add back the chicken and vegetables. Toss in cashews and stir.
Step Four – Serve with cauliflower rice for Whole30/Paleo or regular rice.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Cashew Chicken Stir Fry – a delicious and easy weeknight dinner option the whole family will love! Serve with cauliflower rice for a Paleo/Whole30 option or serve with your favorite rice! Either way it is sure to be hit!
Chicken Stir Fry:
- 2–3 tablespoons olive or avocado oil, divided
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1–1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon (or more) garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 sweet yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- (optional) 1 pint mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4–1/2 cup cashews, roughly chopped
- 1/2–3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3/4 teaspoon arrowroot or tapioca flour
- Bring large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and swirl the pan to coat.
- Add chicken pieces and sprinkle with kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- Flip and stir chicken, as needed, allowing it to fully cook (turn down heat, as needed), about 7-10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan and place on a large plate; set aside for later.
- In the same skillet, add another tablespoon of olive oil and swirl to coat. Add garlic and ginger, letting cook and become aromatic, about 1-2 minutes (stirring fairly constantly).
- Add broccoli, red bell pepper and celery. Sprinkle with a little kosher salt and ground black pepper. Let cook, stirring occasionally, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add onion and mushrooms (if using). Let cook, stirring occasionally, about 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine chicken broth, coconut aminos, garlic, rice vinegar and sesame oil in a medium bowl.
- Once veggies are cooked, but firm, remove them from the pan and place on a large plate; set aside.
- In the same cast iron skillet, add the chicken broth mixture and bring to a light simmer. Add arrowroot and whisk constantly until the sauce begins to thicken, about 2-4 minutes.
- Once sauce begins to thicken, add back in the cooked veggies and chicken. Stir to combine.
- Toss in cashews and stir.
- Serve immediately.
Keywords: cashew chicken stir fry