Healthy Orange Chicken – a simple and delicious weeknight dinner that your entire family will love!!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Real Food Ingredients: I love that you can understand all of the ingredients in this recipe 🙂 they are simple and nothing weird about them!
- Whole30/Paleo Friendly: This is a great option if you eat a more Whole30/Paleo-focused lifestyle!
- Versatile: Easily serve with cauliflower rice or regular rice depending upon who wants what!
What You Will Need
- chicken breasts: we are using boneless, skinless chicken breasts here that we will cut up into small, bite-sized pieces.
- olive oil: this is what we will be cooking our chicken in, you can use really whatever oil you want but I prefer olive or avocado oil.
- salt and pepper: to season the chicken (no one likes under-seasoned chicken!)
- (optional) 1-2 cups broccoli florets: this is optional, but I love the flavor combo!
- sesame seeds for garnish: totally optional!
- orange juice + orange juice concentrate + orange zest: this is where all that orange flavor comes from!
- coconut aminos: this adds in a little umami flavor. If you are aren’t worried about Paleo/Whole30 you could sub soy sauce.
- garlic, minced: for the flavor!
- sesame oil: this helps add a little umami flavor as well!
- tapioca starch: this is our sauce thickener!
What to Serve it With
If you are making this with vegetables in it (like broccoli) and it is more of a stir-fry I would serve it with:
If you aren’t adding vegetables into the sauce and are, instead, serving it plain I would serve it with:
How to Prep Ahead of Time:
- Cut up your chicken ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator (you could do this the night before).
- Add your sauce ingredients to a bowl and store in the refrigerator.
- Make your rice ahead of time.
Other Healthy Chicken Recipes
- 35+ Healthy Chicken Recipes (Whole30 + Paleo)
- Teriyaki Chicken Bowls
- Mediterranean Chicken Quinoa Bowl
How to Make Healthy Orange Chicken
Step One: Cut up your chicken into bite-sized pieces.
Step Two: Add your sauce ingredients to a small sauce pan and let simmer while you work on everything else.
Step Three: Cook up your chicken in a cast iron skillet.
Step Four: Add in your sauce.
Step Five: Then add in your broccoli (if using).
Serve and enjoy!
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- Healthy Beef and Broccoli
- Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- Slow Cooker + IP Chicken Salsa Verde
- Chicken Apple Salad
High quality chicken recommendation:
If you are looking for a great “meat guy” I highly recommend Butcher Box (a service that delivers 100% Grass-Fed and Grass-Finished Beef, Heritage Breed Pork, Free-Range Organic Chicken and Wild Caught Alaskan Salmon). All of their meat, including their chicken, is absolutely amazing. Click here for $20 off your first order + free bacon!
Healthy Orange Chicken – a simple and delicious weeknight dinner the entire family will love!!
- 3 medium chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- (optional) 1-2 cups broccoli florets
- sesame seeds for garnish
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 Tablespoon orange juice concentrate
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
- 3 Teaspoon coconut aminos
- 1 Teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 Teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon tapioca starch
- Combine orange juice, orange juice concentrate, orange zest, coconut aminos, garlic and sesame oil in a small saucepan. Let simmer uncovered while you cook the chicken.
- Bring large cast iron skillet to medium high heat and add olive oil, allowing it to coat the pan.
- Add chicken and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Move chicken around, allowing it to cook, approximately 10 minutes (or until fully cooked).
- Remove chicken from the skillet and place on a large plate; set aside.
- Pour sauce into the skillet and bring to a simmer.
- Add tapioca starch and use a whisk to combine.
- Continue stirring with whisk until sauce starts to thicken, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add broccoli if you are using it and allow it to cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add back chicken and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately and garnish with sesame seeds, if desired.
- Serving Suggestion: serve on cauliflower rice if Whole30/Paleo – otherwise feel free to serve on regular rice if you want!
- More Veggies: If you want to make this into more of a stir-fry and add even more veggies I would just suggest doubling the sauce so there is enough to coat everything! Super easy!
- Orange Juice Concentrate: orange juice concentrate is found in the frozen section!
Keywords: healthy orange chicken