Cilantro Lime Marinade – a flavor packed marinade that will liven up any chicken or steak. Plus the whole family will love it!
Cilantro Lime Marinade
This marinade is so flavorful and with spring/summer right around the corner it is back in our regular meal rotation. The best part is that your meat doesn’t need to marinade in this for long. Only 30 minutes and it will be packed with flavor and ready for cooking. Making it easy enough for a quick weeknight meal!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
What You Will Need
- freshly squeezed lime juice:
- olive oil (or avocado oil):
- lime zest:
- fresh cilantro:
- kosher salt:
How Long Can You Marinate Meat in Lime Juice
For this recipe you only let your meat marinate for 30 minutes. You definitely want to make sure that you do NOT let it marinate for more than 2 hours because the lime juice will start to “cook” or denature the meat. Here is a great Guide to Marinating Meats!
Can I Freeze Meat in this Marinade
No. Since there is lime juice in this marinade you do not want to freeze meat in it – the extended exposure to the lime juice (which is very acidic) will change the nature of the meat if it is frozen in it. When your are dealing with a marinade that has a lot of acid in it (like this one) you don’t want to freeze it – just let your meat marinade ahead of time, no more than 2 hours.
How Should I Use this Marinade
Here are just a few ways you can use this marinade:
- Marinate steaks before throwing them on the grill
- Marinate chicken thighs before you grill them
- Marinate chicken breasts before you grill them
Any of these would be delicious! You just have to promise me that you will serve them with homemade fresh guacamole!!! It is a must!! And the whole family will love it which is even better 🙂
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp
- Lemon Lime Citrus Granita
- Pulled Pork Tacos (Slow Cooker + Instant Pot)
- Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!Print
Cilantro Lime Marinade (Chicken or Steak)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: Approx. 1 cup
- Category: Marinade
- Method: Counter
- Cuisine: American
Cilantro Lime Marinade – An amazing cilantro lime marinade that is perfect on steak or chicken!
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (approx. 2–3 limes)
- 1/2 cup olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 1–2 tablespoons lime zest
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 2–3 teaspoons kosher salt
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl; stir to combine.
- Pour over chicken or steak and allow to marinade for 30 minutes.
- Remove from marinade and cook chicken or steak as desired.
- Discard the marinade.
- Additional Lime Juice: Feel free to add additional lime juice if you want the lime flavor to be more intense
- How long to marinade: It is not recommended to allow meat to marinade in a cilantro-lime marinade for more than 30 minutes as the acid from the lime juice will start cooking the meat too much.
- Shrimp: this would also work really well with shrimp!
Keywords: cilantro lime marinade, cilantro lime chicken marinade, cilantro lime steak marinade
Leave a Rating & Comment