These crispy & juicy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs are definitely a family favorite in our house! They can be made in less than 30 minutes with less than 7 real, simple ingredients. Perfect for a delicious meal!
Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
Our trusty new air fryer has become one of our new favorite ways to make a variety of foods, including Broccolini, Chicken Wings, Chicken Legs & Salmon! It is the perfect way to get the outside of your food perfectly brown & crisp without making a big oily mess on your stovetop. The whole family loves making chicken thighs in the air fryer, it is definitely the best way to make them!
What You Will Need
- bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs – we love the flavor that these bone-in chicken thighs have, but you could also try boneless chicken thighs. They probably need less cooking time, so keep an eye on that internal temperature.
- extra virgin olive oil – rub some all over your chicken to get the perfect crispness on the outside.
- kosher salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, & paprika – a simple and delicious combination of seasonings, feel free to adjust to your liking.
How To Cook Chicken Thighs In An Air Fryer
To start this easy recipe, make sure your chicken thighs are completely thawed (if previously frozen) and then pat dry with a clean paper towel.
Rub the fresh chicken thighs down with the olive oil. Then mix the seasoning ingredients in a separate bowl and sprinkle generously on your chicken.
Spray the air-fryer basket with a non-stick cooking spray and place the seasoned chicken thighs in a single layer in the basket.
Pro tip: try to keep the chicken thighs from touching, as much as you can. This will help ensure that the outside cooks evenly and gets an extra crispy skin.
How Long Does It Take To Cook Chicken Thighs In An Air Fryer
Air fry the chicken thighs for about 9-12 minutes, flip them, and then continue air frying for about 9-12 more minutes. We recommend checking the internal temperature with a meat thermometer (in the thickest part of the thigh) at around 15-16 total minutes because some air fryers run hotter than others and you don’t want to overcook them.
Once they are done cooking, remove them from the air fryer, and let them rest on a plate for about 5 minutes before serving. This will help the juices to redistribute, resulting in the most juicy chicken thighs.
- seasoning: we kept the seasoning super simple in this recipe card, but if you want to amp up the flavor you could try our Chicken Seasoning, Chicken Marinade, or just add a squeeze of lemon juice, Italian seasoning, or some red pepper flakes for a little bit of a kick.
- preheat: we recommend preheating your air fryer. We just feel that it evens out the cooking process and adds to the crispness on the outside of the chicken.
- storage: cooked chicken thighs can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You could also season the chicken thighs, store them in a freezer bag in the freezer for up to 3 months, thaw overnight and then cook them. This will really level up the flavors when they cook!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs – a delicious and easy air fryer chicken thighs recipe that is perfect for a busy weeknight!
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon olive oil (or avocado oil)
- Preheat air fryer to 390 degrees F. for approx. 5 minutes.
- Pat chicken dry with clean paper towel.
- Combine salt, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika in a small bowl. Stir to combine.
- Drizzle chicken with olive oil and rub all over. Season generously with the seasoning ensuring the chicken is fully coated.
- Place chicken thighs in air fryer basket and let cook 9-12 minutes per side, but start checking the internal temperature after approx. 15-16 minutes just in case your air fryer runs hot. Remove from air fryer when chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Set aside on a plate and let rest 5 minutes before serving.
- Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 1 chicken thigh
- Calories: 57
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 323.3 mg
- Fat: 3.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 0.7 g
- Protein: 6.5 g
- Cholesterol: 20.7 mg
Keywords: air fryer chicken thighs