This is the absolute Best Egg Salad that is the perfect option for a nice, light lunch or dinner! This healthy egg salad is made with hard boiled eggs, creamy mayo, a combination of mustards, and our secret ingredient (pickle juice)! Whole30/Paleo-friendly and naturally gluten-free and dairy-free!
The Best Egg Salad Recipe
Start hard boiling some fresh eggs and make this one ASAP! This classic recipe is so good! It is the perfect way to use up some hard boiled eggs if you have on hand (maybe leftover Easter eggs) or make a big batch as meal prep for the week. So nice to have on hand for a quick grab-and-go lunch. You are going to going to love this traditional recipe that is made with real, simple ingredients!
Looking for another great recipe? Try our Healthy Chicken Salad – it is so fresh and delicious!
What Is In Traditional Egg Salad
- hard boiled eggs – just follow our simple tutorial on how to hard boil eggs – it’s so easy! We also have an Instant Pot Hard Boiled Egg, Air Fryer Hard Boiled Egg and Oven Baked Hard Boiled Egg recipes too!
- dill pickles & pickle juice – this is our secret ingredient and we promise you that the added tangy flavor is so good. Just make sure you check the ingredients if you want to keep it Whole30/Paleo compliant. You could also use a pickle relish.
- mayonnaise – pick-up your favorite one from the local grocery store or make your own, it is surprisingly simple, and provides the creamy texture in this simple recipe.
- dijon mustard & yellow mustard – a combination of mustards that really bring this easy recipe to the next level!
- celery salt, garlic powder, & onion powder – classic seasoning combination that you probably already have in your pantry for the best flavor.
- celery – added for a little bit of crunch!
How To Make The Best Egg Salad
The first steps to making this classic egg salad recipe are to make perfect hard-boiled eggs and let them cool to room temperature. While they are cooking, gather the rest of your ingredients.
Place chopped eggs and the rest of the ingredients in a medium bowl.
Use a large spoon to mix until fully combined.
Then taste and make any seasoning adjustments, as desired. Serve any way you want or store for later!
How Should I Serve This Egg Salad
You can enjoy this simple salad recipe in so many different ways:
- By itself: just toss it in a bowl and garnish any way you want! We love fresh herbs like, fresh chives or fresh parsley. Or chopped green onions or red onion.
- Wrap it up: pile it high on some butter lettuce wraps, wrap in collard greens, or in your favorite tortillas.
- Bread: perfect as classic egg salad sandwiches or served on a slice of toast. To keep it gluten-free, just use your favorite gluten-free bread. Whatever sounds good to you!
What To Eat With The Best Egg Salad
No matter how you are enjoying this easy egg salad recipe or egg salad sandwich recipe, it is nice to pair it with something that is equally delicious. We love to enjoy it with a fresh side salad, easy herbed potatoes, fresh veggies and dip, or a fruit salad! There are so many great side dish options!
- Peeling hard boiled eggs – check out this – How to Peel Hard Boiled Eggs Perfectly, Every Single Time.
- Instant Pot egg salad – maybe you haven’t tried it yet, but you can easily make hard boiled eggs right in your Instant Pot. And then mix everything together in a mixing bowl!
- Flavor variations – feel free to add some red pepper flakes to add a little kick or some curry powder to make it into a curry version.
- How long does egg salad last in the fridge? Simply store leftover egg salad in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Can you freeze egg salad? we definitely do NOT recommend freezing this recipe. The consistency just does not stay the same.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
The Best Egg Salad – a creamy & delicious egg salad recipe that is perfect for a nice, light lunch or dinner! Whole30/Paleo-friendly and naturally gluten-free and dairy-free!
- 8 hard boiled eggs, peeled & diced
- 1/2 cup dill pickles, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice (more as needed)
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- Combine ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Taste and add any additional salt or pickle juice, as desired.
- Serve immediately as-is, in a lettuce cup or in a sandwich.
- Mayo – to keep recipe paleo/Whole30 check ingredients on the mayo you use! I like using my homemade mayonnaise (which is paleo/Whole30).
- Dill Pickles/Whole30: Here is a nice little article about what pickle brands are Whole30!
- Storage: store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
- Serving Suggestions: serve plain, in butter lettuce or on a sandwich!
- Hard Boiled Eggs – just follow our simple tutorial on how to hard boil eggs – it’s so easy! We also have an Instant Pot Hard Boiled Egg, Air Fryer Hard Boiled Egg and Oven Baked Hard Boiled Egg recipes too!
- Serving Size: 6oz
- Calories: 253
- Sugar: 1.5 g
- Sodium: 632.3 mg
- Fat: 19.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.4 g
- Protein: 12.9 g
- Cholesterol: 393 mg
Keywords: best egg salad, classic egg salad recipe, egg salad recipe